If you've been on Lamictal, does it have longterm side effects?

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image81
    schoolgirlforrealposted 7 years ago

If you've been on Lamictal, does it have longterm side effects?

I've experienced tremendous relief mentally such as better mood and outlook on life...though I missed one dose and I had a horrible reaction. So I was wondering if you've had the same and any advice Thanks!

2. Jaymeyaroch profile image60
    Jaymeyarochposted 7 years ago

Lamictal, like all drugs of that kind, are merely stepping stones to recovery.  They are not intended as long-term solutions, and should only be taken for a year or so.

Their purpose is to give you the feelings that normal people have, as in those without the condition that requires the medication.  You are supposed to couple Lamictal and similar drugs with therapy that will help you attain that level of normal feeling without pills.

Lamictal has some uncomfortable side effects that can include an increase of mental disorder and confusion, as well as insomnia.  I preferred Trileptal, which is more of a take-as-you-need-it.  If you doctor prescribed this drug for you full time, I would not recommend missing any days because it only takes about 16 hours to half-life in your system.

You can build a tolerance to this drug, and the side effects of that are worse than missing a day.  Talk to your doctor and see if a less severe option could help you recover better.

3. schoolgirlforreal profile image81
    schoolgirlforrealposted 7 years ago

"increase of mental disorder and confusion" what do you mean by that?
    I feel like I was born again and am noticing things I should have noticed........

I appreciate very much the part about not missing doses, and where can I find out more about ---why I should not stay on it long and how to do w/ out pills.
    thanks you much.

Closed to reply

working