jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Why do you think naturally "giving" people have an easy time helping others, but

1. brookeb profile image61
    brookebposted 7 years ago

Why do you think naturally "giving" people have an easy time helping others, but often find...

themselves without support when they are in "need"?  Why do you think it is easier to give than receive?

2. katiem2 profile image59
    katiem2posted 7 years ago

That's a good question.  I naturally give to others like breathing it comes natural.  One of my very best friends has told me for years I don't know how to let others do for me.  I always blew off her claims as being kind remarks as to my good deeds.

As of the past year I came to learn that she was in fact right.  She and I set out to solve this by pulling back doing a little less for others and in turn allowing others to help me out by accepting their offers.

This proved to be a very big change and learning experience for me.

As my friend pointed out it letting others help you is often the greatest gift you can give to another.  Oh thank goodness for honest and determined friends.

Thanks for the question, Katie

3. Wendi M profile image78
    Wendi Mposted 7 years ago

My answer to this question relates directly to me...it is extremely difficult for some people to ask others for help.  Therefore, people tend to view you as someone who is completely independent, controlling, and, in no way, in need of help.

I give to, and help, others without even giving a second thought...yet it kills me to have to ask for help.  This is not something I'm proud of, it is something I've been trying to work on for a very long time.

4. awoodog profile image59
    awoodogposted 7 years ago

I have to agree with Wendi M, I offer help without giving a second thought. I do however have a very hard time asking for help.

5. toknowinfo profile image89
    toknowinfoposted 7 years ago

In life you can often divide people into the givers and the takers. The takers seek out givers and vice a versa. Opposites do attract and those that give do have a hard time accepting from others. If a person doesn't have support now, they probably didn't have it growing up. It is hard to ask for help if you got rejected when you did ask. It is easy to give if that is how you got acceptance and love. It is okay to be on the receiving end of giving. We need to seek out supportive people who love us unconditionally. These are the people who are there when we need them.

working