jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Why is sugar bad for you?

1. john.jackson profile image70
    john.jacksonposted 7 years ago

Why is sugar bad for you?

For example orange juice has next to no fat in it, yet if you drink too much you can get fat from all the sugars? I don't quite understand how sugar makes you fat

2. katiem2 profile image58
    katiem2posted 7 years ago

I've never eaten much sugar as a child my mother didn't provide sugar as she was a health nut.

Since my body was never conditioned to sugar I get sick if I eat anything sugary.  I almost never eat sweet foods unless natural fruits or the like.

I feel strongly that sugar is not a substance our bodies should be subjected to.  Were conditioned to it and become addicted to it all the while it creates many illnesses and health issues.

Please try to make the move to natural sugars.  I love dark organic dark chocolate of 70% or higher.  Not often but I do!

Thanks, Katie

3. Syrusv37 profile image90
    Syrusv37posted 7 years ago

It's not, but too much is. If you're diabetic, sugar is bad. But if you maintain a healthy diet, moderate sugar shouldn't do anything, especially if you're active. Too much sugar though can lead to diabetes, gaining weight, etc. Your body needs sugar to convert into energy. However, there IS a limit to how much sugar your body needs. When you consume over that amount, that excess sugar is converted into fatty acids. This then goes back into your bloodstream and is stored in your body as fat. Basically your body has had enough, changes it into something else, and then you've got a bigger problem on your hands.

4. Suzanne Levac profile image61
    Suzanne Levacposted 7 years ago

First it is important to supply our body with essential land valuable nutrients, and to have a good balance of all the nutrients for our system to function properly.

White sugar is an unnatural molecule completely devoid of any nutritional value. At the same time it has concentrated energy and is often referred to as "empty calories". Overtime ingestion of large amounts will result in the person having sufficient energy to fuel the body but will lack in other essential nutrients.

In addition to white sugar, most people consume sucrose as you will find this is white bread, cereal, pasta, and other food made with white floor and all contains lots of sucrose.

The human body tries to cope with such an enormous consumption of sugar by increasing its insulin production. The continuous overeating of sugar inevitably lead to the condition know as "hypoglycemia" which is dangerous for the brain.

Our body cannot function without sugars at all though so it is important to provide the best sugar for our body. It is best to get your sugar from fruits and honey, it will provide you with energy and valuable nutrients.

I would require a much longer answer to explain everything...  hope this helps!

5. teamfusiongroup profile image58
    teamfusiongroupposted 7 years ago

Sugar is bad for you, especially refined sugars, because it raises the insulin level in your blood. This depress the immune system and your ability to fight disease is weakened.

With these raised blood insulin levels you can experience weight gain. Insulin promotes the storage of fat, so when you eat foods high in refined sugar, you increase fat storage. Obviously, the result is rapid weight gain.

Did you know that the majority of corn produced in North America is used in the product of fructose? This high concentrate sweetener is one of the main ingredients in most foods today - even baby formula.

6. simeonvisser profile image84
    simeonvisserposted 7 years ago

As far as I know, we don't really need it for our nutrition but we simply eat it because we like it. And too much will harm your health. Our foods are increasingly more sugary and many are eating way too much. There is no commonly agreed maximum intake per day but it seems to be around 40 - 60 grams of added sugar each day. Many exceed that number easily as one can of coke already has at least 30 grams.

7. profile image0
    Butch Newsposted 7 years ago

Sugar isn't bad for you, it's what fuels your body cells.  But eating sugar means your stomach doesn't have to do any work at all and the sugar goes directly to your blood stream elevating blood sugar levels which triggers a response to your body to make insulin and your whole body is in overdrive... not good.

It is better to eat starches which are unprocessed sugars then your body can deal with digestion over time.  And your body needs many other things such as minerals, proteins, and vitamins which are not found in sugars.

There are many kinds of sugars.  Milk contains lactose which is a sugar, fruits contain fructose... also a sugar.

Fats may be fattening but take time to digest and can actually be a better choice than sugar, as strange as it seems.

Eating sugar and fats together will pretty much guarantee you will gain weight very fast... think ice cream.

Alcohol is quickly converted to sugar by your body so it is fattening too.  Think beer.

8. arizonataylor profile image82
    arizonataylorposted 7 years ago

Sugar isn't really that bad for you, unless you have diabetes or other similar medical issue.  Sugar is empty calories.  Simply put, it has virtually no nutritional value, no vitamins, minerals, or nutrients.  So, when you eat sugar, you're filling up on calories that provide no value.  Too many calories results in gaining weight.

9. Lady Guinevere profile image60
    Lady Guinevereposted 7 years ago

I causes al kinds of diseases besides diabetes.  I wrote about it a while ago:  http://hubpages.com/hub/Sugar-In-Diguis … ther-Facts

Closed to reply

working