jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Is there a way to 'un-remember' a bad episode in your life?

1. cloudy_cool profile image74
    cloudy_coolposted 7 years ago

Is there a way to 'un-remember' a bad episode in your life?

Oft times we come across moments of depression or sadness caused by some bad experience, either by a person or circumstances. And long after you've 'survived' the bad episode, the lingering sadness still negatively affects our present lives and our day-to-day functions. Does anyone know of a 'switch off' or 'ignore' button?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/4450335_f260.jpg

2. Edlira profile image68
    Edliraposted 7 years ago

I understand very well what you are talking about, but sorry to say it as it is, no, there is no easy way.
    Even if you should forget it for a specific time, the memory is still seated somewhere in your subconscience, and will re-emerge one time or another. What you can do though, is to deliberately revisit the episod in your mind and try to see it from a different angle, with a different attitude, and hopefully manage to release the bad emotions.
    Hope it helps. Best, Edlira.

3. profile image0
    Butch Newsposted 7 years ago

Time passing will help but, no, there is no escaping life and its experiences.

4. MPG Narratives profile image60
    MPG Narrativesposted 7 years ago

All experiences, good and bad, become part of your past and will 'pop up' in your memory from time to time. Choosing how these memories affect your every day life is the hard thing. Time does heal though, so be kind to yourself when bad things happen.

5. AngusNz profile image60
    AngusNzposted 7 years ago

How you come out of the hard times determines the type of person you are, we only learn from the bad bits and quickly gloss over the good.

6. cloudy_cool profile image74
    cloudy_coolposted 7 years ago

@MPG Narratives: I do agree that its upto the individual to choose the levels of effects maybe...and that our brains are far too complicated and stash away valid/useless pieces of data in a corner, only to continously resurface later...but given the modern times...when we expect everything to be done 'fast' eg; travel, cooking, communication etc...dont you think it would be nice to also discover or master the art of earsing bad memory perhaps? Maybe science cud help? Maybe a more effective NLP or Hypnosis?

@Edlira I appretiate your consolation but lets look around us for a moment...do we see everybody as really happy individuals despite so many manmade modern comforts? Science has managed to analyse subconscious behaviour...but its considered like next to God in our lives! Is it right to lose hope that someday, with individual or collective effort human population may achieve better levels of peace? Of course as you suggest, it would be easier to toy with the subconscious meanwhile by using a different attitude.

@Butch News and AngusNZ Thanks for your answers. Sometimes just one liners do help like quotations. And as I continue my search, like millions of us perhaps, I'll not forget that hope and love is slow but strong enough to battle the occassional burst from the past!

7. ramesh kavdia profile image60
    ramesh kavdiaposted 7 years ago

Well well very nice question. There is no way to un-remember since nothing is destroyed in universe.(may be transformed). so it is better to keep ourselves busy in some creative activities instead of finding solutions in sleeping pills or any addiction.

8. Rastamermaid profile image73
    Rastamermaidposted 7 years ago

You learn and gain strength from bad episodes also,you learn how strong and resilient you really are.

You made it through,it's over and you'll still here.

What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.

That's right you can't get me down because I've conquered you already,and I will again and whatever comes between me and my happiness.

It's your life and your call,you can't allow your past to hinder your future.

9. chspublish profile image80
    chspublishposted 6 years ago

I have found brain entrainment particularly effective. You can find examples on You Tube. Pick one you like - maybe a mixture of music and binaural beats. The soothing effect lasted for 3-4 days at a time. It helped to take the 'sharp' edge off the memory. Slept better too. Hope this helps.

working