jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What is the best way to get over a cough?

1. timmartin profile image
    timmartinposted 7 years ago

What is the best way to get over a cough?

2. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 7 years ago

I've had a cough and went to the Dr.  My issue is fluid, mucus and junk in my lungs.  My cough is caused by the bronchial being compressed and my Dr thought that the cough wouldn't get better on it's own and could possibly get worse.  She gave me a five day prescription of a steroid to open up my lungs.  The downside, is the there is a side effect of the steroid which makes me feel a little wired.  The good news is after two days of taking the medication, my cough is getting better.  So, for serious coughs, it's probably worth visiting your doctor.

3. Jarn profile image73
    Jarnposted 7 years ago

Rest your lungs and bronchial tubes for a week or two by not breathing. The spasming will die down after the first five minutes or so.

4. mkvealsh profile image61
    mkvealshposted 7 years ago

There is a brand of tea called Traditional Medicinals.  Many grocery stores and health food stores carry them.  There is tea for sore throat, colds, and coughs.  I love the Herbitussin tea for cough. Also, if you can find slippery elm tea or lozenges, these seem to help.  Try to stay away from dairy products and sugar.  Drink a lot, try not to talk too much, and run a humidifier.  If it seems serious at all or lasts several days, see a doctor, of course.

5. gypsumgirl profile image87
    gypsumgirlposted 7 years ago

If you're looking for a night-time remedy, try this....
    It may sound odd, but it really works...

Lather Vick's Vaporub on the bottom of your feet before you go to bed.  Put on thick socks just as a way to prevent Vick's from spreading all over your bed.  You will get the rest you need and sleep through the night.  The key to recovery is rest but you get into a Catch-22 when you cannot rest because you're coughing, but you need to rest in order to get over it.

Give it a try and see if that works...it does for me!

6. mandyf profile image66
    mandyfposted 7 years ago

anti-histamine if it is allergies, the right inhalers if asthma (xopenex and a steroidal inhaler) antibiotics if already gone into bronchitis or pnuemonia, if sinus' then again an antihisamine- but if it is persistant for more than 7 days it is best to see your doctor

7. megs11237 profile image70
    megs11237posted 7 years ago

Depends. How long have you had it?

A week or so I would try regular traditional OTC medicines. I have found the best one to be Delysm, humidifier, and lots o' lots o' fluids.

More than a week, severe hacking dry cough at night, then it may be that your airway is inflammed. This happens to my little guys whenever they get a cold.

You would need to see a doctor but a nebulizer treatment of Pulmicort (1st  line treatment if you haven't used this type of medicine before) once a day and Albuetrol 1-4x a day clears them away right away and you don't need to use the medicine when your cough is better.

8. Loveslove profile image58
    Lovesloveposted 7 years ago

A good idea may be to visit a chemist and buy a bottle of cough medicine ...if that dont work then a visit to a doctor ..common sense really I would have thought

working