Do you think of or treat the disabled differently?

1. MariaPants profile image55
    MariaPantsposted 7 years ago

Do you think of or treat the disabled differently?

2. viplove09may profile image68
    viplove09mayposted 7 years ago

I'm sure most people treat mentally or physically disabled people as normally as they can depending on the circumstances, but I think they can never get treated totally equally. There is always an element of wariness, for lack of a better word, a non-disabled person feels around a disabled person. I think this is due to fear of becoming disabled yourself. I'm not saying this to seem callous, but it's just what I've experienced myself

3. La Papillon profile image73
    La Papillonposted 7 years ago

Having grown up with persons who have differing abilities (disabilities) and have family (including children) with disabilities 'today', I have never treated such persons differently than to how I like to be treated myself.
    The only time I would behave differently to an individual with a disability is when accommodations for their challenges or different ways of needing to do something is apparent.
    A disability doesn't define the person, in my mind or change how we should view them as a fellow human being. We are all human, though consideration for our differences may be needed sometimes.
    Cheers, Louise smile