jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Can being a Tomboy affect the way people treat you?

1. milleramanda53 profile image79
    milleramanda53posted 5 years ago

Can being a Tomboy affect the way people treat you?

2. kathyjones1952@at profile image61
    kathyjones1952@atposted 5 years ago

I don't think so.  I've always considered myself a tomboy and nobody has ever treated me in a way that they shouldn't.

3. goosegreen profile image76
    goosegreenposted 5 years ago

Absolutely. If a girl acts like a boy and plays like a boy she will be treated differently by girls and boys alike. I might be simplifying things in this answer but I think it stands to reason that, regardless of age, we will be treated differently depending on the way we interact with people, our appearance, personality, social standing, likes and dislikes etc.

4. GoodLady profile image94
    GoodLadyposted 5 years ago

Probably! 
    You know the expression, "When you smile, the whole world smiles with you"  - and you know how this is often the way it is, well, I'd say its the same with how we project ourselves.
    People are quick to sense other people's persona (being creatures, therefore instinctual).  We humans pick up on what others project of themselves, so we will instinctively respond.
    A gentle old lady will get a different response from 'jo public' than a Tomboy or a rugby player or a tall fashion model.
    An old cat will get a different response from us than a little kitten or a Tomboy cat!

5. profile image0
    CJ Sledgehammerposted 5 years ago

Sure it can. That is if you are willing to admit that boys and girls and men and women are treated differently in school, at home, in the workforce, in court, etc, etc.

6. Woody Marx profile image71
    Woody Marxposted 5 years ago

I am not a tomboy, or a girl (the last time I looked) but I can say that being called anything at all has the power to affect you.  Tomboys are a good example of how society can try and pigeon-hole people for behaviour that fits into categories and hence make people, (girls in this case) either feel bad about being 'different' or feel they should change themselves, for being different, and thereby loose the stigma of the 'label'.

The ultimate cure is not to be hurt or in any way affected by words, because that will make you stronger within, and the more you question 'labels' the better you will be to think independently of societal slanders, such as the tomboy one.  There is of course nothing wrong with a girl who likes to climb trees and play baseball with 'the guys'...in fact there is something 'right' about her...namely she is physically active, and likes to challenge herself.

Now can you think of a better compliment ?

1. milleramanda53 profile image79
      milleramanda53posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't agree more and Thank You for the compliment.

7. Haileybird profile image59
    Haileybirdposted 5 years ago

Our society seems to be ingrained with the idea of stereotypes. These stereotypes tend to effect the way people see or view you in life. So, yes, being a Tomboy can affect the way people will treat you because that's the way they believe you will act do to the stereotype they've place on you. However, you can let that affect the way that you treat yourself. Only you know the true way that you will react to a situation or how you feel and you need to be sure to express that to the people closest to you. That way, they'll know how to treat you and that's the most important thing. Forget about everyone else. There is a quote from Dr. Seuss: “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” 

Hope this helps. I'm not an expert, but stereotypes have had a big affect on my past so I speak more from experience.

working