jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Have you ever given a pet near the end of it's life"hospice care" instead of tak

1. Alastar Packer profile image85
    Alastar Packerposted 7 years ago

Have you ever given a pet near the end of it's life"hospice care" instead of taking it to the vet  ?

2. Thibeau profile image83
    Thibeauposted 7 years ago

This was the first time I as an adult dealt with end of life care for an animal.  I made the decision to euthanize based on my pets quality of life, pain level, and the fact that due to my work schedule I would not have been able to be with her.
    I think hospice care is completely appropriate in many scenarios.  It's a decision all pet owners need to be prepared to make.
    Thanks for the great question!  Have you had some experience caring for a pet in it's last days at home?

3. Alastar Packer profile image85
    Alastar Packerposted 7 years ago

Yes , under the circumstances you did the correct thing. Mine was a situation were with my 16 yrs. with"pretty girl" we had grown perhaps unusually close. She developed a tumor on her shoulder and the vet said it was risky putting her to sleep- well after many months the antibiotics stopped working.For two days she hyperventilated some with rapid heartbeat. Made her as comfortable as possible.The last day was heart-breaking but something quite remarkable happened that I will put up on a hub soon. Thank you Thibeau for your post & question.

4. Hyphenbird profile image91
    Hyphenbirdposted 7 years ago

I have and it was one of the most rewarding and love filled times of my life. She was sweet Baby, my parent's tiny poodle. I still miss her.

working