jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (14 posts)

Have you ever gone 72+ hours without sleep?

1. BenWritings profile image78
    BenWritingsposted 7 years ago

Have you ever gone 72+ hours without sleep?

how did that work out for you?

2. Ingenira profile image83
    Ingeniraposted 7 years ago

Yes, I did it once, working on a project to meet the dateline.  I took one or two hours nap a day, but it didn't help much.  I have never felt so sleep deprived in my life.  Since then, I really appreciate sleeping.

3. yazoogal43 profile image37
    yazoogal43posted 7 years ago

I have gone longer than that and did not hallucinate as drs tell you, some people are too aware to sleep like others and i am one yazoogal43

4. BlissfulWriter profile image66
    BlissfulWriterposted 7 years ago

No way.   I need my sleep.  In fact everyone does.  Don't go too many days without sleep.  Otherwise, the mind will start to hallucinate (that's what doctors will tell you).

5. Jarn profile image82
    Jarnposted 7 years ago

Yeah. I had bad insomnia problems in college. You hit a sweet spot around 40 hours that makes you feel giddy and full of energy, but by around hour 55 you realize that whatever chemicals were keeping you going are gone, then you start to crash, but for some reason you're mind is too active to let you rest, almost like your mind has forgotten how to turn off, so you spend a lot of time twitching, tossing, and turning, going "help me! Help meeee!" like Brindlefly. And when you do fall asleep, waking up is very much like a hangover. I wouldn't recommend sleep deprivation for anything but hallucinations and mood swings.

6. Vishaaa profile image77
    Vishaaaposted 7 years ago

No... I never.. I love sleeping.. I can't stay up more than 20 hours

7. vashal profile image66
    vashalposted 7 years ago

I did once, just to see how long I could stay up and what would happen. I made it to around  80 hours and got extremely bored and gave up. I didn't really have anything weird happen (no hallucinations or anything like that.) I did skip a lot of meals...without a normal routine I'd suddenly realize that I hadn't eaten for half a day or more.

8. biman_r profile image74
    biman_rposted 7 years ago

I did come close as I did not sleep for 50 hours. My father was going through an operation and I had to take him to the hospital and then also take care of my mom so those few hours sleep didn't seem to bother me.

9. Diki Bird profile image72
    Diki Birdposted 7 years ago

No I havn't. My best score is I think more than 50 hours.

10. ChristineVianello profile image59
    ChristineVianelloposted 7 years ago

I have gone 72 hours without sleep and it was a horrible expierence. I felt as if I was on a different planet, and eveyone around me was an alien.

11. marketingskeptic profile image71
    marketingskepticposted 7 years ago

Yes, I usually don't sleep much during Finals Week. The most I've ever gone is almost 3 days without sleep...I drank at least two shots of coffee ever hour after the first day to stay awake. Suffice to say, I was jittery, grumpy, and sluggish the whole time.

12. fxdaddy profile image61
    fxdaddyposted 7 years ago

I don't think that would be possible for me.  The most I have ever gone is 48 hours without sleep and that was ridiculous.

13. Cre'lynn profile image54
    Cre'lynnposted 7 years ago

no... but i have stayed up 48 hours and tht was hard enough to do as it was. i think it would be extremely hard to stay up 72 hours. consideriing that i kept passing out for seconds at a time.

14. GALAXY 59 profile image94
    GALAXY 59posted 7 years ago

Yes, I have and it was terrible. For some reason a few years ago I went through a period of insomnia. At it's peak I went nearly eighty hours without sleep, I was having hallucinations, crying, not eating - it was awful. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

working