How many reps should you do and how much weight should you use to gain muscle?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)
  1. amorepoet profile image58
    amorepoetposted 12 years ago

How many reps should you do and how much weight should you use to gain muscle?

i workout a lot.. but I dont seem to ever gain muscle... when im in the gym I do as many of the weight machines I can... but I only seem to be able to withstand more and more but it never shows in my muscles... help pls! smile

2. CyclingFitness profile image90
    CyclingFitnessposted 12 years ago

Sadly msucle gain and development is a long term thing so can takes months before you really see developments.
    To gain muscle you should be looking at doing a maximum of 8-12 repetitions per set of a weight and after those repetitions you have reached your limit and can do no more within the set. If you can squeeze out another repetition it's too light a weight.

Are you getting enough rest between workouts? Generally allow at least 48 hours between resistance training sets to allow your muscles to recover. And do you have a good diet with plenty of protein?

If you do the same weight everytime you exercise for the same number of repetitions your body will start to not respond to the stimulus. So try something different

1. Stop using the machines and start using free weights?

2. Find yourself a partner to exercise with that gives you extra motivation

3. Get yourself a personal trainer tpo really push you to the next level.

3. john.jackson profile image70
    john.jacksonposted 12 years ago

There are so many guides and different explanations online. What it really comes down to is this. In my opinion, and this has worked for me, you cannot just rely on weights. When I work out, first of all I do 35 minutes on the running machine. (also a little hint, don't listen to music whilst on a treadmill, it actually makes time seem slower). After that then go straight off the treadmill and do weights. Do a series of exercises and don't stop moving. This creates the burn that you need to gain muscle and tone up.

Just make sure that you get advice from a certified physio or doctor before embarking on a new exercise for the first time, to make sure that any problems are taken into account.

- Hope this helps

4. Mickmc profile image71
    Mickmcposted 12 years ago

There are several factors that contribute to muscle gain. However, in answer to your question regarding reps and weights, here is a general guide.

Reps = 8 reps
    Weight =  As a general rule of thumb, use as much weight as you can safely lift so that at the end of the 8 reps your target muscles are fatigued, but you are able to maintain your form throughout the set.
    Sets = 3 (or at least 2 if you don't have time for 3)

If you are after more of a toned long lean look (like many women are) slightly more reps (say 10-12) reps may be better. The same rule of thumb regarding the amount of weight applies; the most you can safely lift (10-12 times) while keeping good form.

Some bodybuilders will use even less reps (4-6), with very heavy weights to achieve muscle hypertrophy.

The overload principle is the key to gaining muscle. You need to really challenge your muscle's strength (not endurance) to gain muscle. So heavier weights rather than more reps is usually how this is achieved. The idea is that lifting weights (as described above) causes micro-damage to the muscle fibers (this is partly why they are sore after weights). As your body heals this damage, it makes your muscles stronger (slightly bigger) than they were before.

Therefore it is also important to have at least a days rest before you target the same muscle groups with another gym session. Some people will target different body areas on different days (e.g. Monday = arms and core, Tuesday = legs, Wednesday= arms and core Thurs= legs, Friday =rest etc.) However, I prefer to do all body parts on one day and then have a day or two rest before going back to the gym again.

If you want more info feel free to contact me via my profile page or post here.

...as always... this is offered as general information only and is not to be considered as specific advice.              smile

5. rcrm89 profile image65
    rcrm89posted 12 years ago

Progressive overload should be the goal of your training - this means increasing either weight and/or reps and/or time under tension (TUT) every session.

Once you have achieved a training effect, your diet must supply enough energy (calories) and protein to put your body in a state where it has surplus energy (weight gain) and enough protein for muscle repair and growth to occur.

I've written more about it at the below 2 links:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Muscle-Building … -Beginners
    http://hubpages.com/hub/8-Tips-For-Hard-Gainers

6. David R Bradley profile image82
    David R Bradleyposted 12 years ago

How many reps should you do and how much weight should you use to gain muscle?  Do you workout a lot but I don’t seem to ever gain muscle?  Here’s some great tips that will help you pack on some serious muscle. read more

7. David R Bradley profile image82
    David R Bradleyposted 12 years ago

amorepoet, I answered your question by creating the following Hub.  Let me know what you think!

http://hubpages.com/hub/Howmanyrepsshou … gainmuscle

8. profile image0
    trainer ben gamonposted 12 years ago

my advice is:
    stop using machines and switch to free weights.
    machines don't make you use your core and your balance enough. you are lifting the weights but your muscle are not placed under stimulus great enough.

watch your diet as well, try to eat more than you burn.

take a weight gainer and some creatine.

you can hope to gain .5lb of muscle a week.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)