jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Just how fine is the line between sadness and depression?

1. lovelife08 profile image59
    lovelife08posted 6 years ago

Just how fine is the line between sadness and depression?

In other words, at what point do you decide it is a problem and you need help, possibly professional?

2. ii3rittles profile image82
    ii3rittlesposted 6 years ago

I think it has to do with time really. A person can be so sad they are depressed. The point in which they may need help comes down to how long it lasts. If they go weeks with barely cracking a smile, clearly they need to speak with someone. Other people can be depressed but in spurts. This all depends on how they feel and what surrounds them. Depression is just a level of sadness you are feeling. When to seek help has to be evaluated with time.

3. Just Ask Susan profile image90
    Just Ask Susanposted 6 years ago

I have read and heard from professionals that if you are depressed for two weeks you should go and get help.

4. ProFreelance profile image38
    ProFreelanceposted 6 years ago

I think it depends on why you are sad. If something bad has happened to you, that's one thing. If you can't explain why you're sad, that's another. Situational depression will go away as things change. Irrational or biochemical depression will last a little longer and may be a sign that something else is wrong. In those cases, people should usually get help to find out what it is.

5. rob_allen profile image84
    rob_allenposted 6 years ago

Well, it guess it depends on how a person handles his or her sadness. There are sad people who are said yet they can still do the things that they usually do. However, those people who aren't as strong as other people tends to be depressed. They are living their lives in mists of sadness. I guess, it depends on the mindset of a certain person.

6. lambservant profile image92
    lambservantposted 6 years ago

As one who has suffered with various degrees of depression I would say there are a few things you need to look at. First of all the length of time you have been sad, irritable, etc. Another thing you need to look at is how debilitating is it? Are you able to funciton completely? Go on www.nami.org and they can give you more information on depression. or go on www.dbsa.org Acutally go see a doctor as well.

working