jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Is smoking really lethal?

1. manofthewill profile image60
    manofthewillposted 6 years ago

Is smoking really lethal?

2. Hound Cat profile image58
    Hound Catposted 6 years ago

Too many friends of mine have died from smoking related diseases.  It must be.

3. Patty Inglish, MS profile image94
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 6 years ago

Secondhand smoke is entirely lethal to some people. My parents smoked 5 packs each per day (1 carton daily total) and rarely opened any windows. The smoke and its chemicals paralyzed the cilia in my lungs so that I contracted pneumonia on both sides twice, at ages 7 and 16. I also suffered a new cold infection every three weeks from childhood until I left for college.

4. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image60
    Jo_Goldsmith11posted 6 years ago

I am an ex smoker of three months. I smoked for 23 years. And the last 8 years I smoked two packs a day. My health and that of my husband started to decline. I know if I wouldn't have stopped, it would have killed me with copd. Smoking contributed to my mother and sister's deaths. I think smoking should be made illegal and against the law to subject non smokers to all the poison.

5. Tom Koecke profile image60
    Tom Koeckeposted 6 years ago

I think the number of deaths related to smoking is skewed because virtually every natural death of a smoker becomes "smoking related." It's as if all smokers who have died would still be alive if only they didn't smoke.

That said, there is too much evidence that smoking is a major contributor of health problems and premature death to contend that smoking is safe.

Life is lethal. Smoking likely brings the end sooner for many who partake in it.

6. profile image49
    sereneeposted 6 years ago

Guess you are too young to remember big lawsuits against the tobacco companies and they lost billions - having to pay states for health care costs but also individual claimants.

So the answer definitely, no doubt, absolutely, yes, smoking is really lethal.

working