jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How can someone find a happy balance between controversial debate and positivity

1. Theresa_Kennedy profile image73
    Theresa_Kennedyposted 6 years ago

How can someone find a happy balance between controversial debate and positivity?

I enjoy a healthy debate on occassion. My favorite topics tend to be a bit controversial and often become heated. But I also attempt to stay positive and keep positive energy around me as much as possible.

What are some ways you have found a good balance? Do you stay out of debates entirely?

2. JT Walters profile image76
    JT Waltersposted 6 years ago

Yes as long as they stay away from person attacks.

3. profile image46
    eawhiteposted 6 years ago

Even though we all enter spirited debates, remember that everyone is entitled to an opinion. No one else is required to agree with it. As long as everyone involved can sit around around a table, share a soda, and still walk away friends, the conversation was a success. How to do this:
    1. No personal attacks.
    2. Actively listen to the other people involved (i.e. seek to understand BEFORE you seek to be understood).
    3. Laugh whenever possible--this lightens the mood.

4. profile image0
    Giselle Maineposted 6 years ago

I find that acknowledging where the opposition is coming from is helpful. Even in my hubs, if I am pro-something or other, I almost always am careful to present the other side of the story too, and then explain why my side makes the most sense.  That way I still get to say what I think while keeping things upbeat, positive and showing both sides of the argument.