jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

East Coast Hikers: Are you worried about ticks & take precautions against Lyme d

1. ptosis profile image74
    ptosisposted 6 years ago

East Coast Hikers: Are you worried about ticks & take precautions against Lyme disease?

Or do you simply stop hiking in the summertime?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/5193763_f260.jpg

2. JT Walters profile image79
    JT Waltersposted 6 years ago

No I am not really concerned.  Perhaps I should be?

3. Jlbowden profile image90
    Jlbowdenposted 6 years ago

Hello Ptosis:

As JT just mentioned, many people including himself are not concerned with ticks or lyme disease for that matter. A good many people also are not aware or educated enough about tickborne diseases and ticks.  I usually do not worry either about ticks, but am aware of my surroundings. I am glad you brought this topic up though, because I am currently working on a hub article about lyme disease.  Hopefully if everything goes as scheduled, I will have it completed over the weekend. Remember besides deer ticks and lyme disease, you still have to worry about other ticks, like the dog tick, which carry rocky mountain spotted fever and babesiosis. This can at times be even more deadly than lyme disease for an individual. Also if you enjoy hiking like I do, than try to stay on the path, do not stray off into the woods or high grassy fields, where deers hang out.  Where there is deer, usually deer ticks are nearby.  Also wear light-colored clothing, including white sneakers and socks.  Tuck your pant legs inside of your socks. Try to avoid wearing shorts, no matter how hot it is.  And also spray the outside of your clothing, with a good non-toxic tick and insect repellant.  It may sound like a lot of work in preparing for a hike.  But it beats getting lymes.  Take care.

Jl.

4. Jackie Lynnley profile image89
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 6 years ago

Strangely enough I don't. My son got a tick in his scalp embedded and I was told by some parents or grandparent to burn the tick before taking it out, with a match head or something and I did which killed it and then I removed it and kept alcohol really wet for a couple days and it got well, I had never heard of Lyme Disease. I have a cat that is 16, she was my Moms and she has never had ticks or fleas and all I do is chop raw garlic tiny in her food every few days, it kills worms too. I think that is why she is living so long too.

working