Lyme Disease: I have it. Tested positive for the antibody. Rats....

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (31 posts)
  1. donotfear profile image83
    donotfearposted 13 years ago

Knew I hadn't been my old self, darnit. Dragged out, muscle fatigue, exhaustion, inability to sleep.  Finally had blood tests done. Doc said I was positive for one of the antibodies of Lyme. I gotta find an infectious disease Doc ASAP, plus, I need a chest x-ray, he recommends. Been on the antibiotic for it for 4 days. He says I gotta take it for a month.

I got bitten by several ticks while on a cattle drive about 6 weeks ago. Guess that's how it happened. Oh well, if anybody kows anything else about it, please feel free to contribute. I'm beat.

1. flread45 profile image59
      flread45posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I had the disease and have a hub on it.
      The main thing is get treated immediately,as it can create many problems with the body.sad

donotfearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm going to read the Hub now....! Thanks. 
        (I've been feeling really weird lately, too. Like confused & unable to focus, plus thinking strange things).

2. darkside profile image64
      darksideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's not good.

I remember when you mentioned it 4 weeks ago.

Hope you fully recover.

Thanks. I've done a lot of research on it and plan to publish a hub plus a video diary about it. It was my own fault for not wearing Deet to keep em off. I though I was invincible.

3. Jane@CM profile image60
      Jane@CMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are the 4th person in the last 5 days who has told me they have lymes.  Can't offer any advice.  My family members and friends are just seeing their GP, not an infectious disease doc, but lymes is getting to be common in MN.

For everyone in tick areas, buy good bug spray & reapply often.!

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I don't know anything about it, but send along best thoughts and will be glad to hear you back to yourself when through this. smile

Be safe and get well soon. smile

Thanks Cags.

3. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Wish you the fastest recovery smile

4. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

I don't know anything about it either to be honest, but good luck!

I think one of my cousins has it, been ill for a while but getting through it.

5. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I am so sorry to hear that donotfear, and hope you get appropriate treatment. I've never met anyone with Lyme disease so don't know much about it either. The internet is wonderful for learning about these things, but you don't want to catch them! Sending you good thoughts for a speedy recovery smile

6. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

Hope you feel better soon!

I don't know much about Lyme's disease but it doesn't sound comfortable!

7. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

It is fully treatable with antibiotics, although it can take a while...

8. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 13 years ago

I knew a guy years ago who did environmental research out in the woods, and he had it.  It took months before they figure out he had it too, and he was super sick by then.

Truly stick with the meds for the fully prescribed time you are supposed to be on them.  It's hard to knock it out but it can be done.

9. Veronica Allen profile image69
    Veronica Allenposted 13 years ago

Donotfear - I do not very much about this subject myself, but I did want to stop by and wish you a speedy and complete recovery. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

10. donotfear profile image83

Thanks, guys, for your encouragement. I've had a couple of good referrals for websites/support groups. Hopefully, once I get to the right doc & finish my round of antibiotics, I can feel normal again. It's very debilitating.

11. megs78 profile image61
    megs78posted 13 years ago

I had a friend who had it, and like some others here, it took the docs quite a long time to figure it out and by then she was pretty sick.  She had to stay on meds for a long, long time to recover.  Thank God they found it early in you so you should have a speedy recovery.  Damned ticks eh?  Take care

12. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

I had Lyme disease when I was 7 months pregnant.Unfortunately, I couldn't take the recommended antibiotic because I was pregnant, so it was a pretty touchy couple of months until I delivered. I live in Connecticut where Lyme disease was first discovered and diagnosed, and our docs here are pretty up on it since its so prevalent. I know tons of people (and their dogs) that have had the disease.

I was pretty darn sick for a very long time, but it's now 23 years later and I have had no lasting effects from it. From what I understand, if it goes for years without being diagnosed, there can be problems. But if you were diagnosed relatively quickly, you should be fine.

Feel better! Speedy recovery!

Thank God I know when I got it...only about 6 weeks ago! It was after being exposed and bitten by several ticks. I refuse to let this thing beat me.  Thanks!

13. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

My girlfriend's daughter picked it up on a camping trip.  She was treated and, as far as I've ever heard, has been fine ever since.

14. Daniel Carter profile image61
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

I'm really, really sorry to hear you tested positive for Lyme, donotfear. I don't know much about it, except it's devastating. However, I stumbled across this documentary about it. Just the trailer is heart wrenching. It seems we need a lot more awareness about this. Here's the link:

http://underourskin.com/watch.html

Sending kindest and best, and that you make a full recovery fast!

15. susanlang profile image60
    susanlangposted 13 years ago

Annette:  I just got your email and was not a bit surprised when you said you have lyme disease. After we talked on the phone before you left for Washington, I remember you telling me about the tics and you not feeling well.

I lived in Connecticut for many years.. lyme disease was named after lyme connecticut where it was first discovered after someone became sick from a tic bite. There's also an East Lyme, Connecticut.

East Lyme was a beautiful town when I lived there and very close to the ocean, infact some parts of it was a short walk to the water front.

I've seen some cases of people with lyme disease and whenever they got there antibiotic on time, they healed with very little long term problems. It can be a slow process but if your healthy otherwise, you should be just fine once it runs its course.

I'll keep you in my prayers as always. Think good thoughts about your recovery and this will pass!

16. donotfear profile image83

This disease sucks. My knees hurt, my elboes feel like they have fever & I'm tired.  And I just got up! 

I will beat this!  I will Survive!  I will thrive!!

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs138.snc4/37215_1438102227437_1079435779_31257618_7437158_s.jpg

17. Jen's Solitude profile image85
    Jen's Solitudeposted 13 years ago

Sorry to read of your diagnose donotfear.

Lyme disease is one of the diseases that has to be ruled out before MS is diagnosed. Weird to say, but for a long time I was sure I had Lyme disease and not MS. It was wishful thinking because Lyme disease if caught early enough is curable, whereas MS isn't. 

The symptoms you are experiencing are very similar to MS symptoms so I know how lousy you are feeling. I am just glad you were diagnosed early and will recover. So many of us can't look forward to putting our disease behind us. Your glass is half full, which delights me to no end. Just keep reminding yourself that this fortunately will pass and take it easy until that time arrives.

Thinking about you!

Thank you Jen!!!

18. ediggity profile image60
    ediggityposted 13 years ago

Hope you are feeling better.

19. susanlang profile image60
    susanlangposted 13 years ago

Hope you hang in there.. I don't know what it feels like because I never had it and wouldn't want it, but you are a strong woman and will pull through this one. smile

20. fetty profile image65
    fettyposted 13 years ago

I had Lyme disease over 14 years ago. I walked into the doctor's office with a giant pink bullseye on my inner thigh. I beat the disease but I will warn you that the marker will sit in your body forever, because it goes into remission, only. But all your symptoms will disappear as you go through your drug therapy. Thank God you got diagnosed early. I had to change doctors , also. I was not willing to join a support group and live my life around this condition. I shopped around and found a very aggressive and forward thinking doctor who made me take Zithromycin for two months (at least).  This doctor even treated some patients with IV therapy; but they were in the advanced stages. I wish you all the best. I stopped giving blood but was allowed to give it many years later , so I did.
    This is an active spirochete that still sits in your body even when it is in remission. I always remember to say that I had Lyme when I am being diagnosed for some new problem. My physcians appreciate this information. So far so good , I have never experienced those symptoms again. I received fast relief from the drug therapy . I also went back a year later for a follow-up visit. Best wishes - fight on, this is very winnable with the positive attitude that you have.

fetty: Great to hear a success story!  Glad to see you fought your way through it. You know, it's been out of my hands since day one....in the natural, I can do everything possible to get better. But in the spiritual sense, as far as I'm concerned, it's already taken care of. Done.  That's why I will get well.  Giving it to God doesn't mean to sit back & do nothing afterwards. It means relying on Him to show you how to get in action. And that's exactly what I've done!  Wow, your story is great. Uplifting, positive, freeing.....what all those who suffer from the disease need to hear. Thanks!

21. donotfear profile image83

ediggity:  You have been a tremendous help! Thanbk you for all the information. Without it, I might not have found what I needed to march onward in recovery. Thanks.

Susanlang: Again, you're a great encourager. Thank you for your understanding.

22. LymeLiterate profile image69
    LymeLiterateposted 13 years ago

Hi there,

I have had Lyme Disease now for 2.5 years.  I went into remission and a bout of steroid medication brought me out and made me sicker then ever.  I then was reinfected this year by a teeny tiny little bugger.  I am very active in the Lyme community.  I have also written a book all about it, covering symptoms, treatments, co-infections, tackled the myths surrounding it- like can you pass it during pregnancy, etc.  There are many great support groups out there online.  I will leave you with a few links to get you started of reliable information.  There is a lot of bad information available on the net due to lack of knowledge.  I pride myself on current knowledge and love to help others new to this.  You are always welcome to contact me.  All of my hubs are Lyme disease related.  Feel well soon and make sure you also get tested for at least Bartonella and Babesia.  9 out of 10 ticks on the east coast are carrying Bart.  I also have that to which teamed with the Lyme lead me to a heart attack at 29 and a seizure disorder.  Lymie Love- Tara
    (PS- The CDC went under a massive investigation for many reasons regarding Lyme Disease this past year one reason being the information to doctors to under treat patients with only 2 weeks to 1 month of medication and it has caused MANY people like myself to become chronic and have a disease become stronger then ever.  My friend received 1 month of IV antibiotics for just pain from Lyme.  She now has a seizure disorder, walks with a walker or cane and lost most of her cognitive ability only because her doctor gave her 1 month of medication and it became a super bug.)

www.Objectofmyinfection.com
    www.ILADS.com
    www.Lyme.org

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)