jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What is your view on pot being legalized?

1. uneekone13 profile image58
    uneekone13posted 6 years ago

What is your view on pot being legalized?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/5257778_f260.jpg

2. Jonesy0311 profile image59
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

I feel that the War on Drugs has created criminals out of people who would otherwise have no need to be processed intot he criminal justice system. When you prohibit something, you lose all control. Regulation works much better than prohibition. Alcohol prohibition created the like of Al Capone and gave the Mafia a foothold in America. We need to sit back and consider a policy similar to that of The Netherlands. To date, over half of the U.S. prison population are non-violent drug offenders. We need to ask ourselves why our nation has the largest per capita prison population of any industrialized nation. And don't get me started on prison privatization.

3. mcrawford76 profile image83
    mcrawford76posted 6 years ago

The reality of the fact is that if you made it legal so sell, own, or buy. You would still need to make it illegal to grow. Otherwise there wouldn't be much point to any of it. Then you would still need a policing agency, regulations and so on.

Any money that could potentially be made would have to be reinvested in trying to ensure that the US government brand of marijuana is the only kind you could buy.

Basically it's a double edged sword. Keep it illegal, keep spending millions a year policing it.

Legalize it, still have to spend millions a year trying to protect your investment in it.

4. nikki_m profile image83
    nikki_mposted 6 years ago

I think that pot should be legalized and standardized like any other mind-altering substance that is available to the public. I don't think it would be any more harmful than alcohol or cigarettes, and it has a lot more benefits as far as medicinal uses are concerned. Having worked in an intensive care unit, I can see how marijuana might be helpful to people suffering from very severe diseases, even if it is only emotional and psychological help.

Also, in legalizing pot, I would hope that hemp would be able to be grown in America as well. Right now, hemp items can be sold in America (since they have such a low THC level that you would need astronomical amounts to get any kind of a high from ) but it cannot be grown. The hemp plant is an amazingly versatile fiber that can be used for anything from clothing to beauty products to fueling a car! I suspect that this may be part of the reason for making it illegal in this country, since you cannot patent a natural fiber.

5. nightwork4 profile image59
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

heres my problem with it being illegal. why do we sell cigs, booze etc when they are deadly in so many ways but pot isn't legal. why do we let the government decide what we can smoke or take into our bodies? why are we so willing to give up our freedom of choice just to make people who know nothing about pot happy?

working