jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Why are opiates so apealing to humans?

1. K9keystrokes profile image90
    K9keystrokesposted 6 years ago

Why are opiates so apealing to humans?

2. tyler_richmond profile image54
    tyler_richmondposted 6 years ago

The human mind is something we will never truly understand so therefore there is no one answer plus everyone is different so again no one answer, but i think it's because of the mind altering affects that bring a person into a happy state no matter whats going on in their personal lives. So mainly its to escape their daily lives i guess.

3. addicted4life profile image58
    addicted4lifeposted 6 years ago

There are a lot of answers to this question.  We are all wired with the ability to become addicted to something.  It's just a matter of coming across what does it for you.  Cocaine, Opiates, Alcohol, but don't forget about about coffee, cigarettes, food, sex, etc...
    Some people have addictive personalities while others do not.
    For me, I just loved the feeling it gave me.  The downside of becoming addicted is when the brain no longer produces endorphins on it's own because you have provided so much from an external source (pills, IV, etc..)  Without endorphins your entire system goes out of whack.  Endorphins are involved in respiration, naseau, pain modulation, hormonal regulation.  So when your brain stops producing endorphins on it's own and you try to stop taking the external source you have made your body accustomed to getting, you become extremely sick for a few days.  What we call "dope sick".  Your body enters such a confused state as it is trying to turn it's natural production of endorphins back on.  It is one of the most aweful experiences to go through. Ive been trying to prepare myself for it in another attempt to quit heroin.  But all it takes is a glimmer of being sick and the knowledge that getting a fix will make you feel better and youlose that battle every time.  You will do whatever it takes to avoid being sick like that.
    After a period of time abusing opiates, you totally rewire your brains' reward/pleasure system. You're brain forgets what it mean to experience natural highs and will always want that high you experienced on opiates.  You will spend the rest of your life trying to experiece that first high again.

4. Blond Logic profile image96
    Blond Logicposted 6 years ago

Firstly I would like to thank addicted4life for explaining that so clearly. It is good for the non-users to understand what it is like and how difficult it can be to give up drugs.

I have no first hand experience but my mother was prescribed opiates for a short time for pain. For more than 40 years my mother was in constant pain from various ailments and when she used the opiates she said, "I can't believe how wonderful I feel". I never thought I would hear her say that. She always would grin and bear her pain but now, when I look at photos of her, I can see how much pain she was in. It was a sad day for her when the doctors said they had to stop them or she would become addicted. She knew that it was back to the chronic pain which plagued her.

5. Awful Poet profile image75
    Awful Poetposted 6 years ago

One word, Squishy~ Everything just melt's away.