jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Hi, what is like living with bipolar?

1. Happy Banana profile image60
    Happy Bananaposted 6 years ago

Hi, what is like living with bipolar?

I mean, I think I may have it...all the signs are there but I'm too scared to confront it.

2. profile image0
    lostwithinmyselfposted 6 years ago

Hello hun, From my experience Its horrible. I only got diagnosed last year but i have been told i had it from about the age of 12, but for 6 years i was told i just had borderline personality disorder, and anxiety disorder. I have server mood swings, become violent at times when i get really bad. Sometimes i see things and hear things. This is called being in a manic episode. sometimes i can not sleep well, racing thoughts. I can't eat, i get so paranoid to the point i think every one is against me. When i become really depressed this is when the bad thoughts come and the darkness blocks out my light.  My mood can change several times in the day so i don't know weather i am coming or going. I say things in anger which i can not stop myself from doing. It feels like something has taken over my body. I get bored and agitated easily.  I have tried mood staberlisers but they come with bad side affects, so im not just on anti-depressants. Im very good at hiding my illness but this just causes me to become really unwell. As i said i wished i never got the labelled with these mental health issues as people kinda judge you! From my experience any way. Its a very scary road to go down. When i was diagnosed i went in complete denial. Its your choice to seek this out. I had no choice but to find out as i was losing every thing around me. Im always here if you need to talk though smile x

3. catsimmons profile image81
    catsimmonsposted 6 years ago

Don't be scared to confront it.  The best thing to do is to try and be as honest with your doctor as possible because then you'll get the best treatment.

The person who will judge you the harshest is yourself.

I was diagnosed 9 years ago, and I'm lucky that meds work pretty well. Persist until you find a solution that suits you.

Now you know that you have at least 2 pals to chat to :-)

4. Audra Johnson profile image53
    Audra Johnsonposted 6 years ago

If you think you are bipolar then you have a pretty good idea what its like to have the disorder. What you don't know is what its like to be treated for bipolar. This may mean telling friends and family that you may/or may not have the illness and that can come with some challenges. Also treatment can be difficult because it is not easy to find quality practitioners and an easy fix for your problems. Treatment for bipolar often includes a variety of medications and they always come with various side effects. Obviously, however you are already questioning something about your mental health so I recommend you go see a professional for a formal evaluation before you diagnose yourself.

5. blondey profile image79
    blondeyposted 6 years ago

How do you feel? I used to think it wasn't real like the famous Dr. Peter Breggin says, that chemical imbalances are caused by meds.