jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Whats your honest thoughts when you find out someone you know is BiPolar?

1. dustbunnie profile image57
    dustbunnieposted 6 years ago

Whats your honest thoughts when you find out someone you know is BiPolar?

I am Bipolar 1. Sometimes I feel as though my family and friends maybe view me differently.

2. BizGenGirl profile image88
    BizGenGirlposted 6 years ago

I wonder if they are among the thousands of normal people who were diagnosed with a mental disorder they don't have.

Then I wonder what they'd like for lunch, lol. smile

3. JMAW profile image61
    JMAWposted 6 years ago

i imagine we all are subject to varying degrees of mental diagnoses.

4. PainReliefGuy profile image71
    PainReliefGuyposted 6 years ago

If I find out someone I know is Bipolar I make an effort to love both extremes (and all the stuff in between). We are all bipolar if you think about it. Some blame it on alcohol. Others, point to depression or hormone imbalances. Some seek medical help. But most of us just acknowledge that life is frequently one extreme after another. The extreme stuff makes life interesting, so I say hug you Bipolar friends often!

5. skeeter747 profile image60
    skeeter747posted 6 years ago

Well if it is the person that has BiPolar that let's me know they have it . I am like oh my here we go.I don't want to set for a hour and listen to someone tell me what they have.  Not all people are they same.I mean I think I have bipolar to some point. LOOK I am online talking to the dang screen. I get mad on here and I laugh hard at other time's reading what has been posted.So who is to say they are crazy. Trippin' a little we all are I think.

6. dashingscorpio profile image85
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

It's human nature for people to treat others differently or behave differently around them when they "know" they have been diagnosed with something.

Sometimes it may lead people to have more patience or cut you some slack under circumstances they normally would not have without your diagnosis.

Other people may think you use BiPolar as an "excuse" for any erractic behavior you display and therefore they may elect to spend less time around you. They don't want to deal with any "potential drama".

In the end you have to accept that you are who you are.
    You take your meds and do the best you can.
    With experience you should be able feel a change coming on. This will help to keep (you) from being caught off guard.
    Life is too short to be trying to read other people's minds or to be too worried about what they think.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow. It empties today of its strength." - Corrie Ten Boom

Best of luck!

working