Can "old age" theoretically correct nearsightedness?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)
  1. stanwshura profile image73
    stanwshuraposted 7 years ago

    Can "old age" theoretically correct nearsightedness?

    Has anyone ever heard of, or is it theoretically possible that "old age" could correct myopia (nearsightedness) to 20/20?

  2. relache profile image85
    relacheposted 7 years ago

    Most often, age doesn't not improve the condition or ability of the eye muscles to change focus.  While it's not impossible that someone's eyes could become less nearsighted as they age, it's highly improbable.

    A significant amount of seniors wear bifocal glasses, which offer correction for both near and far sight.

  3. Patty Inglish, MS profile image92
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 7 years ago

    Beginning in my 30's, my nearsightedness began to correct itself more and more every 2 years or so. A few years ago, my astigmatism also disappeared and that made my opthalmologist scratch his head and recheck my eyes. Astigmatisim is gone! He does not know why smile

  4. Maralexa profile image84
    Maralexaposted 7 years ago

    As we age our eye loses its elasticity to focus.  This is why people with hyperopia (long sight) eventually need glasses to read.  People with short sight (myopia) are also affected by the loss of elasticity in focusing.  This condition is called presbyopia.  Aging won't "correct" your eyes to 20/20 but refractive surgery MAY be able to.  You might want to take a look at my two laser eye surgery hubs.

    Myopia is the result of too much curviture of the eye's lens. Hyperopia is where the lens of the eye doesn't curve enough.  Astigmatism is where the lens of either or both eyes is curved a bit unevenly.

    Patty's situation is unusual--wonderful, as a matter of fact.  smile    Most people with myopia (short sightedness) just need to correct their prescription for glasses or contacts.  Or get laser surgery if all other conditions of their eyes allow it.

    When (if) you get cataract surgery (where an ophthalmologist replaces the lenses in your eyes), you can get adjustments to each new lens that will help you see better close up and far away.  Always check with an eye specialist, preferrably an ophthalmologist.

  5. stanwshura profile image73
    stanwshuraposted 7 years ago

    Wow - very informative responses.  I had forgotten about the elasticity thing.  I'm just wondering if I sjhould think about investing in a pair of bi-focals.  Yeesh!  39 years old, folks! 

    The thing is - I'm nearsighted (myopic) - and unevenly to boot.  My left eye is someting like 20/140 and my right maybe 20/100ish.  And both are (supposedly) astigmatic.

    I have a pair of weaker glasses that I prefer to use when computing and/or reading.  Otherwise, like at the grocery store - I'm the guy who's looking over the top of his glasses (voracious label reader), or with specks in one hand and box of whatever in the other, and even every once in a while with one of the temple arms in my mouth as I am comparing ounces to price of one item and cross multiplying in my head to see which is the cheaper ratio!

    Yeah yeah, pipe down with your chuckles.  I'm a geek - I know this.  Rather fitting of the discussion, no? wink

    Hey - woah - wait a sec?  Presbyopia isn't farsightedness?  That's hyperopia?  And presbyopia is "old guy vision" (the loss of elasticity whether myopic or hyperopic?

    Cool - I learned something today.  Thanks, folks.


This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

Show Details
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)