Should cigarette smoking be banned?

1. OutsideTheLines profile image60
    OutsideTheLinesposted 6 years ago

Should cigarette smoking be banned?

Why or why not?

2. Debby Bruck profile image72
    Debby Bruckposted 6 years ago

Hello OutsideTheLines ~ I wrote an entire hubpages articles about this issue, because it pits the freedoms and liberties of an individual against the rights of others in some instances or 'outsidethelines' of governmental regulations or laws.

Cigarettes today are composed of much more than strictly fresh natural tobacco leaves and contain hundreds of substances and toxic chemicals. Even so, should a person have the right to choose his or her own poison, if they take it on their own property away from others who otherwise may come in contact with the smoke?

Even if cigarette smoking were banned, the people would find a way around this law, just like in the days of prohibition. Each person must choose to create their own good or bad habits. We can this free will. Check out a lengthier Hub. Ohio-Bans-Smoking-Two-Sides-To-Every-Decision

3. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 6 years ago

I believe in freedom of choice so long as ones freedoms do not step on my freedom to breathe clean air.  I believe that smoking bans in my area in bars, restaraunts etc. have been a wonderful thing for those of us who had to avoid going out before.  I have asthma and I don't want to breathe other people's smoke.  (I am also a former smoker and understand it's hard to quit)

I believe people should have the right to smoke on their own property or outdoors at a reasonable distance from the entrances and walkways of public establishments.  I do not believe smokers are persecuted nearly as much as many of them claim they are.  Even when I was a smoker I had no problem being conscientious of others who were not. 

I think what's sorely missing in society is a lack of common courtesy for others, which makes the temptation to "ban" smoking more appealing.  I see this all the time at my college.  The smokers stand right outside the doors and puff away making the rest of us gag on smoke.  When campus police ran them off the other day saying they were going to start handing out 100 dollar fines to people who didn't use the designated smoking areas a whole bunch of these people had the nerve to get angry about how unjustly they were being treated.  Well what about all of us who don't smoke and have lung conditions? Were we not being treated unfairly too? These people have designated areas to go kill their own lungs if they so choose - they can use those areas or do without in my opinion.