jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Should smoking whilst driving with children in cars be banned from the UK?

1. tlcs profile image50
    tlcsposted 6 years ago

Should smoking whilst driving with children in cars be banned from the UK?

We all no that smoking is not good for you and most individuals know that to smoke with children around could be dangerous to the childs health.
    That said, if a law was to be put into place in the UK banning smoking in cars whilst children are on board, do you think that would be breaching your own human rights or do you think that it would be good move by the government?
    Have your say.

2. Seeker7 profile image95
    Seeker7posted 6 years ago

I'm a smoker myself and I wouldn't dream of smoking in someone's car whether there was children in it or not. But I think to ban people within their own cars from smoking  is a bit uncomfortable for me, not as a smoker, but just as you mention, when talking about people's rights. What would be the next move - banning people from smoking in their own homes on their own property? What I would like to see is a very strong campaign to educate people and really push to get them to give up smoking voluntarily in front of children at all times, not just when in a car.

Don't get me wrong I do understand the dangers of smoking and in particular to those non-smokers. I never have and never will smoke in front of people who don't smoke and that's whether they say it's ok or not. But I honestly think that sometimes the anti-smoking campaign can resemble a bit of a witch hunt at times. When we consider how many deaths are caused by alcohol for example - innocent people getting smashed up in cars, knocked down, murdered, not to mention the health risks I don't see the same moves to ban alcohol. When we see how many diseases such as asthma can be attributed to traffic pollution, I don't see huge campaigns to ban people from driving - but then I guess that's political suicide to go down that road for some as it wouldn't be popular - but smokers are an easier target. I think if we are going to clean up our act then everyone who is involved in any kind of pollution or health risk to other people should be involved.

3. scentualhealing profile image56
    scentualhealingposted 6 years ago

Yes it should not be allowed any more than drinking and driving in the car.  It is a known  fact that second hand smoke causes cancer.  hundreds of thousands of children end up in the hospital every year because of the second hand smoke they inhale from their parents cigarette smoke daily at home and in the car.

4. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 6 years ago

Smoking whilst driving should be banned as it causes the same lack of concentration as wittering into a mobile phone.  The police are not doing a very good job of stopping that so I don't suppose they would be any better at stopping driverts smoking.

5. leenamartha profile image40
    leenamarthaposted 6 years ago

It should be banned because it is a known fact that second hand smoke causes cancer.

working