jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Should smoking be banned forever ?

1. Adityapullagurla profile image70
    Adityapullagurlaposted 4 years ago

Should smoking be banned forever ?

Former Marlboro man Eric Lawson dies of smoking-related disease

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8688386_f260.jpg

2. William Slater profile image59
    William Slaterposted 4 years ago

I don't think so, unfortunately, if you banned smoking, crime levels would shoot up and illegal trade of it would automatically begin, unfortunately, it does harm people, but thats their choice. I think we should be trying to encourage a move to safer methods though, encouraging e-cigarettes as they are much safer than real cigarettes, and making further effort to increase tobacco tax, it shouldn't be banned, but it should be discouraged.

Just my opinion.

3. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

It should be banned just as it is now. Since second hand smoke affects people who don't smoke, smoking should not be allowed in areas where smokers and non-smokers mingle. While some people would probably use this argument for marijuana and other drugs, I limit it to smoking - just because the person smoking is harming themselves, it shouldn't be illegal. The reason people give for making it illegal is stop the diseases associated with the action. If that's true of smoking, other things need to be banned - chewing tobacco, fast food, candy, alcohol, etc. If cigarettes are made illegal to protect the people who are danger of "killing themselves", these others things should be illegal for the same reason.

4. FatFreddysCat profile image99
    FatFreddysCatposted 4 years ago

In the immortal words of comedian Denis Leary: "You want to ban cigarettes? They're a DRUG people. We're ADDICTED. We will BREAK INTO YOUR HOUSE to get the money to buy the f***ing cigarettes, OK? You could put them in a black pack, with a skull and crossbones on the front, call'em TUMORS, and smokers would STILL line up around the block to buy'em."

5. Alphadogg16 profile image90
    Alphadogg16posted 4 years ago

I'm not a smoker and have never been one, so it would really make no difference to me whether it was banned or not. For those that do smoke, that's their own personal choice. I do not think it's feasible for someone to not know the risks and dangers of smoking this day and age, but it's their right. If they like playing roulette, I say that's their prerogative.

6. jaydawg808 profile image89
    jaydawg808posted 4 years ago

Smokers should smoke all they want....they're only killing themselves. However, when I am exposed to second hand smoke, it puts my health in danger. And that pisses me off. Because these stupid smokers who don't care about me are harming my life. Smokers should have no rights whatsoever. It's a horrible habit and addiction. It's selfish. I hate smokers. Always will.

7. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

No, if we get in the habit of banning everything that is deemed not good for us--then we will be living in a very restricted and Big Brother kind of state.

People need to be informed as to the dangers then they can make their own decisions.  Freedom has a price but in the long run it is worth it.

working