Why do folks choose to stay in their homes & not get the elder care they need?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Kim M Gregory profile image60
    Kim M Gregoryposted 12 years ago

Why do folks choose to stay in their homes & not get the elder care they need?

2. grinnin1 profile image70
    grinnin1posted 12 years ago

I think "nursing home" has the same connotation to you when your 85 as it does when your 35. Loss of freedom, loss of home, "old" people, sickness, death. The longer I live and the more older people I know, I realize that a lot of them still feel like they're 50 when they're 80 or 90. I think it's a tough issue for people to come to terms with even if they know they need to be there.

3. The Dirt Farmer profile image88
    The Dirt Farmerposted 12 years ago

I would certainly rather stay in my own home and remain independent, no matter how uncomfortable I might sometimes be, than go into a nursing home of some sort where I'd be at the mercy of strangers, however benevolent.

4. debbie roberts profile image71
    debbie robertsposted 12 years ago

Fear of loosing their independence and their identities maybe. It can't be easy to acknowledge when we are too old or infirm to be independent anymore.

5. suzettenaples profile image88
    suzettenaplesposted 12 years ago

I agree with grinnin1.  Most people don't want to give up their independence.  It is hard to depend on others especially in this day and age.  My grandmother and great-grandmother stayed at home alone until the day they passed away in their 90's.  It depends on the person, but some can remain alone at home until they pass on, and I think, more power to them.

6. Borsia profile image38
    Borsiaposted 12 years ago

OK 1; stop spying on me!
    I'm not that old yet and I plan to marry a youngster who can take care of me.
    I would say that pride is a big factor. It is very hard to admit, even to yourself / especially to yourself, that you can't do everything like you could in your younger days.
    Of course nobody wants to be at the mercy, not really the right word, of others. To depend on doing things in their schedule rather than your own.

7. onegoodwoman profile image69
    onegoodwomanposted 12 years ago

If by " elder care", you are suggesting a nursing home or similiar arrangement, I am here to tell you................many of them might as well be at home alone.

Yes, there ARE good homes, and there ARE good employees in poor homes.  But 2 good people can not keep up with what 40 poor ones will not do.

I am the kitchen manager, ( in a poorly run one ) and every single day, ( I work 6 days a week) there are residents who come to ME with their needs........because, the aides, LPNS and charge Nurses, don't give a tinkers dammn about them, and they know it!   They are some things that I simply am not qualified to do........give medication, prohibited by law, ( showering them or changing them)......I can't even by state law wipe their noses................I might transfer contaminated body fluids to the food.

But I can go to the DON  ( she and I have become allies, because, she too, cares) to the Administrator, ( because, I am a trusted employee) and get these things done.   I can also sit with them over a cup of coffee, or tea and visit.   These are the things that I take time to do, and the residents trust me to do it again tomorrow.

The home that I work in, houses 90-95 residents.  It would safe and fair to say, that in the ( 10 months) time I have been there, only 10 have had family visitors.   Once most people are put into a " living facility", they are forgotten.   At least in those homes that depend on Medicaid- Medicare.

Those homes that cator to the elite and financially independent payors, receive a much better quality of care, and social activities.

I FEAR the day will come, when my Dad can no longer live at home, or when my hubby can not!

8. profile image0
    lavender3957posted 12 years ago

My folks stayed in their home because they said they did not want to be sent away to die. Even though they needed the 24 hours 7 day a week care, they refused to be sent to a nursing home. They wanted to die at home. So we gave them that privilege with each of us 6 kids taking  turns to care for them. We did hire nurses to come in also.

9. LifeStation profile image60
    LifeStationposted 12 years ago

This is a great question. As a medical alert system company, LifeStation directly serves the audience of seniors looking to age in place but have never really stopped to ask the question of why they want to continue living at home. I suspect that it is primarily a fear of change during a time of life when everything is changing, and not for the better.

10. iWilliams311 profile image61
    iWilliams311posted 10 years ago

I think it's an issue of pride and comfort. When you're old, you are less open to new things, to change, and anything that disrupts your routine can cause unnecessary stress. You just want to be able to stay in your own home where things are familiar and you feel a sense of security with that. Also, pride steps in because if you've been independent all your life, maybe you never really thought of receiving long-term care from a family member much more a total stranger. So the first reaction is to resist any help and deny that you even need it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)