jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What makes us so materialistic as human beings? Do you wish this would change?

1. Nspeel profile image78
    Nspeelposted 6 years ago

What makes us so materialistic as human beings? Do you wish this would change?

2. Ramsa1 profile image62
    Ramsa1posted 6 years ago

It's marketing. Take Black Friday for example. Do people really need all the stuff they rush out to buy?

3. Vapid Maven profile image60
    Vapid Mavenposted 6 years ago

We are all materialistic in one way or another. We have our "Things" we cling to.
    The problem is when our "Things" become a priority over "Those". By those I mean the people we care about.

4. Leanna McCarthy profile image69
    Leanna McCarthyposted 6 years ago

I don't think human beings are natural materialistic. Early hunter-gatherer societies didn't take pride in collecting a bunch of stuff, although some did have status symbols. I think our problem is that we live in an overly capitalist world where possessions give us social cues about each other.

5. sgbrown profile image98
    sgbrownposted 6 years ago

I had worked for a debt settlement company for many years.  Debt settlement is for those people who have just got in over their head with credit cards, already ruined their credit and can't make the payments.  I have found that way too many people have credit cards.  I believe that we as Americans are spoiled.  We do value our material things way too much.  We want, what we want, and we want it now.

6. Jonesy0311 profile image59
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

Probably the same reason goldfish like shiny things and my dogs fight over the same damn chew toy even though they have five different ones. As soon as humans stopped being vagabonds and learned how to plant, we learned that it's better to have more than less. Soon, more chickens and millwheels became more silver and gold. Now we have massive token economies and monetary wealth that defines us. I don't neccessarily wish it would change. I gave up chasing fancy cars a long time ago. I take pride in watching my retirement savings stack up, driving my crappy paid-off car, and knowing that sooner than most I will be out of the rat race.

working