jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Has anyone heard of a cinnamon allergy

1. mathair profile image66
    mathairposted 6 years ago

Has anyone heard of a cinnamon allergy

My daughter spent all day yesterday with blotchy skin and a severe cough. Today she is all better. The only thing she ate that was different to normal was some cinnamon frosting. Could she be allergic to this?

2. rebekahELLE profile image88
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

Possibly.  Has she ingested cinnamon before and had a similar reaction?  I've read that a cinnamon allergy is rare, but does exist.  I found a few articles on the Academy of Allergies, Asthma and Immunology website.  It may be helpful.  http://www.aaaai.org/ask-the-expert/Con … namon.aspx  It does sound like she had an allergic reaction to something if it is gone today.  You might also check the other ingredients of the frosting for possible offenders.

3. tjr2jtr2 profile image58
    tjr2jtr2posted 6 years ago

I work with someone who is allergic to nutmeg.  could be that as well?

Seems odd that it went away in just one day - did she use any soap that was different?  Did you change laundry detergent?  Perhaps it could be a holiday plant that she was exposed to?

How old is she?

4. sandy1973mypetdog profile image66
    sandy1973mypetdogposted 6 years ago

I have definitely heard of this allergy. My husband's co-worker has it and he cannot be around cinnamon at all. That's what the doctors told him, so yes it does exist.

5. mathair profile image66
    mathairposted 6 years ago

Thank you for your answers. I made the frosting so it did not contain any nutmeg and she was not exposed to any other new products or plants. She has had a similar reaction once before when we bought some Swedish biscuits. I noted the ingredients at the time and these included arrowroot and cinnamon. This is why I am now suspicious of the cinnamon! I guess I will just have to be careful with this ingredient and notify her pre-school carers to do the same.

Closed to reply