Do you suffer from allergies?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Just Ask Susan profile image90
    Just Ask Susanposted 11 years ago

Do you suffer from allergies?

How do you cope with your allergies?

2. dahoglund profile image71
    dahoglundposted 11 years ago

I do have allergy problems and whatever causes it is pretty bad right about now. About two years ago I had swelling in  my face--lip, or around eyes and unpredictable places. The doctors finally determined I was allergic to aspirin and some other medicines. According to my allergist the fact that I have had cancer adds to the problem, having something to do with cancer cells in the body. I have been told to keep and epi-pen, which is a gadget to inject a heavy dose of anti histamine into my leg if I suffer an attack. Just enough to get to a medical facility.For routine allergies I have a prescription.

3. SidKemp profile image84
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

I used to have hayfever-type allergies, but I eliminated them over the years through healthy living and self-care. Then, about six years ago, due to an infection, I became hypersensitive - easily allergic to everything. I've been slowly eliminating all these allergies by avoiding everything I'm allergic to and staying really clean. I suspect I will remain allergic to artificial stuff, but I continue to release allergies to natural substances through natural healing. Part of the program, though, is to avoid the allergen for six months to clear the reaction out of my system.

4. emilybee profile image90
    emilybeeposted 11 years ago

I have really bad seasonal hay-fever, particularly spring time. I'm trying to limit my time outdoors when pollen is thick, or just carry a box of tissues around smile Using the a/c helps, too. I also drink lots of chamomile tea, although it's made of herbs it doesn't affect me negatively, seems to help a bit.

5. Prankita profile image69
    Prankitaposted 11 years ago

I am lucky and do not suffer from any type of allergies. However my siblings do suffer from pollen allergy. Out of all the methods they have tried eating raw honey first thing in the morning has helped them a lot.
    If you are suffer from any type of allergy do refer to my hub which discusses the natural methods to treat allergies.

6. lburmaster profile image73
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

Yes. But my allergies are mild. Headaches, watery eyes, sinus issues, rash, etc. I actually don't do anything for my allergies. No pills, no meds.

7. Tenerife Islander profile image67
    Tenerife Islanderposted 11 years ago

Yes, to some food additives, including azo food dye colourings, that bring me out in a rash and also to sulphites that cause me to have an allergic asthma so I check all labels to avoid these things.

8. xstatic profile image61
    xstaticposted 11 years ago

I am apprarently allergic to grass, so living here in the grass seed capitol of the US is a problem when the pollen starts blowing around. Antihistamines, even non-drowsy Claritin, so from May to about the 4th of July, I sneeze a lot and use some eyedrops to calm my red and itchy eyes. Using, I mean eating bee pollen from the stuff you are allergic to is supposed to help, but have not tried that yet. I must be less sensitive than in years past, so I can live with it better than twenty years ago. Good question!

9. Pamela99 profile image89
    Pamela99posted 11 years ago

I am allergic to the spring pollen from several trees, but don't have hayfever in the autumn. I do have lung problems regardless, so spring is hard for me. I was happy to find out I'm not allergic to my cat!

10. daisydayz profile image84
    daisydayzposted 11 years ago

I have a number of allergies. A few food ones, that are mild and just make me sick so I tend to just steer clear of the food - Apricots and Gooseberries mainly. I have a allergy to black pepper, its mild so I dont eat anything high in black pepper - but I hate the taste anyway so try to avoid it. But I cna cope with a little of it, although dont use it in any cooking as inhaling it is worse than eatting it as it makes my airways and lips numb and burn.
    Dust allergy and hayfever allergies - these are my worst and I am affected all year round. I have prescription antihistamines all year round usually, and have tried using natural remedies too, the only thing that has slightly worked is Nettle Tea.
    I am also allergic to small insect bites (I may be allergic to bigger insects but as of yet they dont know as I have never been bitten!) But I dont have a anaphalaxis reaction (dont think thats spelt right) I have a skin reaction. I get horrible swollen water blister type reactions to the bites, it started when I was a child with gnats, then stopped in my late teens but I had a few reactions in the last few summers. I usually baffle new doctors as they dont believe me that it is an insect bite reaction, but I assure them it is. I usually get stronger antihistamines to stop the itch but also have antibiotics as it can sometimes affect my blood also and become infected. Quite gross really.
    If you have morbif curiosity you can see it on my blog here http://daisymay-dayz.blogspot.co.uk/sea … c+reaction

11. Melindas Mind profile image67
    Melindas Mindposted 11 years ago

Yes, I'm allergic to everything. Nasally, I'm allergic to anything that blooms and sends out seed of some sort, smoke, car exhaust, mold, dust, cats, dogs, rats, and perfume. Skin wise, I'm allergic to perfume (also), and intolerant of most soaps. I'm also mildly allergic to the sun, and break out in hives during the summer. Foodwise, I have mild allergies to gluten, milk, and chocolate. I'm intolerant of small seeds and nuts.

1. Pauladance.co.uk profile image60
      Pauladance.co.ukposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am really sorry for you!  I am allergic to  moulds, and cheese - and they sneak cheese into many 'ready meals', so I have to take care, and oddly enough, melon, which 'burns my mouth'. Have you tried holistic medicine - they might find a reason.

12. SimplyComplexLife profile image59
    SimplyComplexLifeposted 11 years ago

Before you learn to cope with your allergies, you need to know what is causing them. You can go to the doctor and have them poke you with needles and figure out what you are allergic to. This can range from cats to flowers to even some dust in the corner of your room. Also, one thing to remember, is that during the summer months, if you do not have central air, you will most likely need an air conditioner, which will make your allergies worse during the night when you are asleep and breathing the air in. The best thing to do instead would be to put a fan in your window during the night and deal with not having cold air blasting into the room.

Also, I take a claritin D or sudafed right before going to bed or else I end up waking up at night not being able to breath or having my nose so runny I need to get tissues.

I also keep sinus headache pills stocked up during the summer because the more allergens you take in, the higher your risk of not only getting sinus infections, but also sinus headaches.

Oh and btw, if you thought about using one of those netty pots to clean out your sinuses, make sure you read up on them. I have heard of water being trapped in the sinuses and causing really bad sinus problems.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)