jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Is sleep overrated?

1. MEblogger profile image61
    MEbloggerposted 6 years ago

Is sleep overrated?

A lot of people now say I only sleep a few hours a day. I get my grind on and I don't go to sleep until 3 or 4 am everyday and back up at 7 or 8am. Do you believe them?

2. iamageniuster profile image76
    iamageniusterposted 6 years ago

I think sleep is overrated. How much sleep you need depends on the person's sleep style, their diet, and how they exercise. If you do polyphasic sleep (sleep multiple times a day) you can sleep more than biphasic (2 times a day) than you can monophasic (once a day). If your diet is better (more protein/fat and less carbs/alcohol) you can sleep less and get more rested. If you do more aerobic exercise then you don't need to sleep as much since your blood flows better. Do more anaerobic exercise and you'll need to sleep more in order for your body to recuperate. I have done my research and experimented with all I just mentioned.

I can sleep 4 hours in a day by doing the suggested things above.

3. CWanamaker profile image98
    CWanamakerposted 6 years ago

Yeah it is.  I have a similar schedule and only get 4-5 hours of sleep a night as well.  There is simply too much good stuff to do in this life to waste it with your eyes closed laying in bed.

4. BlissfulWriter profile image69
    BlissfulWriterposted 6 years ago

No, sleep is not over-rated.   In fact, sleep is under-rated.  The importance of sleep is not taken seriously by our modern fast-pace society.  Getting enough sleep is the third most important factor to health (after diet and exercise). 

It is true that some people needs less sleep than others.  But if you have to wake up using an alarm clock, that means that you are not getting enough sleep that your body want.   I get about 8 hours of sleep every day.

1. AllieRambles profile image60
      AllieRamblesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

That is interesting, many days I don't need an alarm clock to wake up, I must be getting enough.  I love sleep and do get about 8 hours a night.

5. MEblogger profile image61
    MEbloggerposted 6 years ago

I actually agree with all of you. I know that it is really healthy to get good sleep, REM sleep is the best. I didn't know it was the 3rd most important though, also i agree with iamgeniuster. Life is too short and we shouldn't waste it sleeping, but we need to just make the best of the time while where awake. Thanks for the answers hubbers. Some days i don't get that much and think i need more, or would love more because i do love my sleep.

working