I always feel exhausted. Does anyone have a solution for that?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Laura Schneider profile image84
    Laura Schneiderposted 12 years ago

I always feel exhausted. Does anyone have a solution for that?

I always feel exhausted, though I get plenty (even a little too much--9-10 hours) of sleep. Does anyone have a solution for that?

2. Hawk Fitness profile image60
    Hawk Fitnessposted 12 years ago

Do you have a desk job where you are sitting a lot all day? Do you have a lot of caffeine? If you tell us a little more about your typical day I'm sure I can help.

3. creativebutterfly profile image60
    creativebutterflyposted 12 years ago

there can be lots of reasons why you feel exhausted.  Really too much to go into in a short answer.

Little less sleep, more exercise and perhaps look at what is going on emotionally in your life right now.

4. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 12 years ago

I was surprised when I finally went in for a sleep study to find I had severe apnea.  I had no idea. I was getting very sleepy during the day, nodding off in front of my computer or TV - several times a day.  It could be apnea (snoring is not always present) or something else.   Maybe a physical is in order just to be safe.

5. Jesus was a hippy profile image58
    Jesus was a hippyposted 12 years ago

Sometimes too much sleep makes people tired for longer. It has that affect on me for sure. Apparently 7 hours is a healthy amount.

6. xethonxq profile image65
    xethonxqposted 12 years ago

Sounds like you might need to consider a diet change. I recommend Nutritional Response Testing (check with a Chiropractor...they are typically the ones who take the advance training for this). I currently do this and I feel magnificent.

7. carozy profile image79
    carozyposted 12 years ago

It may have something to do with what you're eating.  Dr. McDougall's books and website touch on this.  Take out the fat and meat and your digestion and blood viscosity improves, helping you to get more oxygen to your cells and improve your energy.  Also eating low glycemic whole plant foods keeps your energy stable and stops the blood sugar spikes.

8. giopski profile image60
    giopskiposted 12 years ago

Best solutions? Relaxation by finding time to be with yourself and just relax go somewhere relaxing. Another is meditation by taking time to reflect and see where your life leads you and how to act on what lies ahead of you.

9. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 12 years ago

It can be due to many factors.

Basically you should have 70% full in terms of eating. That will give you enough energy to do basic work without feeling tired or hungry.

8 hours of sleep should be sufficient as too much will make you feel more tired.

Maybe you need supplement to boost your energy level.

At time, it is always good to keep oneself active in doing work rather than once in a while as it feels very tired when doing work with too much rest.

10. jacqui2011 profile image81
    jacqui2011posted 12 years ago

It could be any number of things. Have you looked at your diet and exercise? Are you stressed? Maybe you are lacking in vitamins and minerals. I did feel like this a year ago and went to my GP to be checked out. It turned out that I had an underactive thyroid for which I just take thyroxine and am back to normal now. It could also be than there is an iron deficiency. I'm sure it will be something simple, but I would have a check up at your doctors just to be sure.

11. Dorothee-Gy profile image64
    Dorothee-Gyposted 12 years ago

I would always recommend to step back a bit and have a look at the different components of your life. Being tired a lot I would mainly define as having a high level of resistance within you, which can have all kinds of reasons, a job you feel bored with or you don't like, a family situation that makes you feel overwhelmed, a life situation that makes you feel stuck and caged, dreams you don't live and try to bury, fears that make you feel powerless and/or stressed.

I notice in myself that at times when I focus too much on the worrisome topics of our time and maybe I don't have too much going on workwise, I feel like I could just put my head on the table and fall asleep, no matter how much sleep I get at night.

Should you identify some of those areas as source of your resistance, you have various options in regard to how you proceed from here.

Since very often changing the circumstances is not or not easily possible, you need to get to a place where your resistance is diminshed, even though the situation hasn't changed.

12. profile image0
    Saugasfinestposted 12 years ago

I heard Ginseng is really good for that. Over sleeping can lead to constantly feeling tired too.

13. profile image0
    N Brathwaiteposted 12 years ago

There are many factors that can make someone feel exhausted. You might first check your dietary intake to see that you are getting a balanced meals, and you have to answer these question yourself.  How do you plan you menu? Is your eating habit healthy (spread out). Do you get enough sleep? Are you pregnant? Are you involved with in any kind physical exercises/work out? For it is recommended.

Finally I think you should check you blood level/count as well, because if it low it can  constitute to some factor that can make someone to always feel tired, dizzy and weak. In my opinion consult your doctor for a thorough medical check up.

14. emdi profile image64
    emdiposted 12 years ago

Lack of iron in the body can make someone feel tired. Spinach has lots of iron so liver. The problem with tablets is that, most of the nutrient content in the tablet will be lost via urine. If you take Spinach or liver, it's easy for body to absorb iron.

Here are a list of Iron-rich food.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/top- … rich-foods

how is your water intake? Take atleast a liter water a day. There are water with flavors available in the supermarket, which will make us drink more than we normally do

Check some of my hubs. I occasionally write health related hubs

15. carolp profile image80
    carolpposted 12 years ago

9 to 10 hours sleep is definitely not healthy. 8 hours is ideal. I felt the same way too!! so i started taking a walk for one hour every morning with my dog and after i really feel great and active the whole day.

For sure a complete check up and visit to your doctor is advisable to be safe, you might need supplements. The sooner, the better.

16. mikejhca profile image93
    mikejhcaposted 12 years ago

I know some possible solutions.  When I meditate regularly I have a lot more energy.  It even reduces the amount of sleep I need.  So if you meditate or find other ways to become deeply relaxed you should have more energy. 

Another thing that works well is doing a relaxing exercise like tai chi, qigong or yoga.  After doing tai chi or qigong I feel relaxed and energized.  That is why people like doing them in the morning.

17. mpoche4 profile image78
    mpoche4posted 12 years ago

I agree with some of our fellow hubbers that it may have something to do with your diet and stress.  I know that both of these things affect me at one time or another.  You are obviously getting plenty of sleep, but how about adding a short workout routine to your day?  A workout both energizes you and gets you ready for a good night's sleep. 

Starchy foods provide temporary energy- maybe try eating a few more veggies and possibly a protein shake for breakfast.  Eating a healthy breakfast may help to give you more energy as well.

So you like tea?  Tea is healthy to drink on a daily basis, but it adds a little caffeine into your daily routine which may help.  On that note, have you decreased your caffeine intake?  This may be affecting your energy levels.

I hope this helps!!

18. profile image0
    icountthetimesposted 12 years ago

I tend to find that the more I do the more energy I have. It seems counter intuative but since I've starting exercising daily it has given me so much energy. It's not something I'd have thought would happen beforehand. Also, it may be that you're actually getting too much sleep. It's worth looking into all of these aspects, as well as possibly seeing a doctor to check for possible health issues.

19. BlissfulWriter profile image71
    BlissfulWriterposted 12 years ago

As already noted, there is many possibilities that can cause this.  Something is "out of balance".   Finding what is the key and is not always easy.  Sleep is not the only factor that affects energy level.  It could be an indication of burn-out as from say a job.   Or it can be due to lack of exercise.  Or it can be some nutritional deficiency.  The condition fibromyalgia is characterized by fatigue.   And an exercise program is often prescribed for that condition.

I would say boost exercise level as the primary approach.  And then secondarily consider supplements like Co-Q10 and B vitamin complex. 

The mitochondria within your cells is the powerplant that generates cellular energy.   The supplement Co-Enzyme Q10 supports the mitochondria.   B vitamins are water-soluble and hence does not accumulate within the body meaning they are very safe to take.  No harm in trying and they have been associated with boosting energy.

20. Laura Schneider profile image84
    Laura Schneiderposted 12 years ago

Wow, thanks everyone for giving so many and such varied answers! This is excellent help and advice!

I'd like to give you the good news: I found the solution (at least the cause and a mostly complete solution)! Technically, my doctor figured it out.

For me, the solution was to take prescription wakefulness medication (like they give people with narcolepsy or sleep apnea that can't be controlled any other way). This is because my exhaustion was the side-effect of some other medicines that I have to take. No amount of other intervention (non-medication) will be able to fix this problem, the doc said, although I'm going to try a bunch of the things you all suggested because I'm still pretty tired and unmotivated during the day and I think several suggestions will help with that remaining tiredness without having to increase my medicine dosage.

Thanks again for answering my question, and I'm glad to see that several hubs have been written about this, too. (I may write one myself.) I'm going to look into most of the solutions you've recommended.

I'll keep you posted on which of the solutions you all recommended work the best for me! (Meditation... I have a "singing bowl" and used to meditate to gain energy, iron deficiency could be it, too...)

21. Brandon Spaulding profile image57
    Brandon Spauldingposted 12 years ago

THere might be several solutions that could help. Drink enough water and take some nutritional supplements. I would get checked at the doctor to see if there might be something wrong like mono.

22. ChristyWrites profile image79
    ChristyWritesposted 12 years ago

Hi Laura, I am new to HubPages (gulp) and this is the first question I am looking at smile

I would say to stop and take a look at your average day. Are you taking time to rest? Getting enough sleep? Are you eating fruits and vegetables rather than a lot of carbohydrates and saturated foods? You may want to book a doctor's appointment as well; you may be anaemic. Feeling tired is an indication of anaemia. I hope you feel better soon!

23. tigerbaby777 profile image81
    tigerbaby777posted 12 years ago

It depends on whats going on?  Are you getting enough rest? 

Are you drinking a lot of water? Being dehydrated can cause mass fatigue!

Have you had your thyroid tested?  If you aren't getting enough thyroid you will feel sleepy and have very little energy reserve.

Are you going to bed worried or stressed?

There are a lot of factors to be evaluated here.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)