jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do you overcome the pain of losing a loved member of the family, our pets.

1. thecollecktor profile image69
    thecollecktorposted 6 years ago

How do you overcome the pain of losing a loved member of the family, our pets.

when the decision to end their life is yours.

2. prism3x profile image37
    prism3xposted 6 years ago

Taking one day at a time.  Starting a journal has helped me by emptying my thoughts on paper.  I can then go back and read how I felt then and realize my progress. 
    The most important thing I have found is to keep reminding yourself of the wonderful memories you can always treasure.  Most importantly you have to allow yourself to live for the living!  Don't be so overwhelmed that you lose sight of those who are still around you.  Pets truly are family members! 
    I have lost a loved family member of a 15 year pet.  To make the decision is never taken lightly but one needs to consider the quality of life.  They can never really be replaced but I treasure the times he was in my life and enriched life for me.

3. Daughter Of Maat profile image95
    Daughter Of Maatposted 6 years ago

I would never euthanize my pet, and I haven't (but that's another answer for another question!), but even if the pet dies the way mother nature intended, I don't think you ever overcome the pain. It hurts just as much today as the day it happened. But I remind myself daily of my favorite saying: "It's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all." I'm a better person because Lady and Dickens were in my life. The love they gave to me freely is like no other and while I'd give almost anything to have them back, even for one day, I'd never give up the memories of how they made me feel.

4. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image58
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 6 years ago

Time is the only healer. That is the most painful experience anyone can go through. Sometimes getting another pet, especially one that needs a home, can help, but that is very individual thing.

working