jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

Do you think that you are losing your memory the older you get?

1. elayne001 profile image71
    elayne001posted 6 years ago

Do you think that you are losing your memory the older you get?

2. sunasia22 profile image71
    sunasia22posted 6 years ago

Our memory diminishes as we age because of long time oxidative stress.  Oxidative stress is a condition created in the body when there are more free radicals  atoms in the body than antioxidants to neutralize them.  Cigarette smoking produces plenty of free radicals in the body, thus depleting antioxidants which eventually results to oxidative stress.  If you have time, please check my hub "Biological Facts For Men and Women As They Age".

3. sarmack profile image60
    sarmackposted 6 years ago

I don't believe that you lose your memory because of age.  You may begin to lose focus because of boredom or lack or inspiration/activity.  If you notice, most older people whose families give them attention and continue to include them in life, normally continue to function just fine.  As long as you stay active, continue to use your mind, you should continue to be able to remember things.  You live what you Believe.

4. msorensson profile image71
    msorenssonposted 6 years ago

It is a myth...as long as there is no associated disease then there is no decline in memory. In fact when one has the proper discipline, it is possible to remember more than when you were in your 20s.

5. MobyWho profile image60
    MobyWhoposted 6 years ago

Yes. The degree depends on the individual, but it's counterproductive to quantify it. First to go are names: of people, places, movies. We, I at 81 included, pass it off as a "Senior Moment". Curiously, the more the short term memory fades, the "way back when" memory sharpens. Stress interferes with clear thinking: stress caused by noise, personal relations, indecision and uncertainty. There is no question that attitude can help, but you can only fool Mother Nature so long. As Satchel Paige, the great Cleveland Indians pitcher, said, "Don't look back, something may be gaining on you."

6. artrush73 profile image59
    artrush73posted 6 years ago

I think that the older you get, your interests change. Therefore you are willing to spend more money on desired things.
    It should be opposite, the older you get - more money you make wink

7. Angela Blair profile image79
    Angela Blairposted 6 years ago

Well, at 74 I'm probably well qualified to answer the question! Truthfully (and without prejudice) I don't think I am and the reason for that is my mind is busy from the time I get up until the time I go to sleep. I've not been able to remember names since I was a kid -- just one of those quirks we all have so can't blame that on age. I'm finding, after nearly three-quarters of a century, that I can easily recall things I want to -- and totally forget those I don't (and that's a real perk!)

8. tillsontitan profile image89
    tillsontitanposted 6 years ago

It's not so much losing your memory as it is losing track of things.  Being retired one day leads to another and you sometimes forget what day of the week it is, that's not really losing your memory.  The same goes with other things, you find your interests have expanded and you have so many things on your mind you do sometimes forget but again, it's not losing your memory, it's just forgetting things.

9. cicsomum profile image59
    cicsomumposted 6 years ago

With age people develop sclerosis which affects memory. And yes, generally older people have shorter memory span.

10. profile image0
    Emer420posted 6 years ago

Yes I do.  I seem to be a lot more forgetful as I'm getting older, and I misplace things a lot more than I use to.

working