What do you think is the safest and most efficient way to lose weight?

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Sunshine625 profile image87
    Sunshine625posted 12 years ago

What do you think is the safest and most efficient way to lose weight?

2. rutley profile image64
    rutleyposted 12 years ago

Expend more than you consume!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It's simple really.

3. gramon1 profile image59
    gramon1posted 12 years ago

I have wrestled with atendency to gain weight since I was 40. Most adults in my family are obese. I have a lot of experience here.
    First, if you need to lose less than 10% of your weight, almost any diet will do. You should be able to lose up to 10 pounds within a couple of monhs just by reducing food intake and increasing exercise a little. After 10 percent of your weight, your body starts fighting back and you need to change strategies and get tougher.
    Increasing exercise to at least 40 minutes per day and keeping your fat intake to under 70 grams per day will bring you to a much better weight and health. You will also look much better, since you will tone up.
    People always recommend changing your eating habits, but this is so much more difficult than said. Eating is very adictive. Habits after 40 years are really old and our environment sustains them. Try to start eating fried foods in a sociate that lives fied food and you will become enemy public number one. People will try everything to make you eat the grease. They will tempt you, critisize you, oestresize you,and show you how hurt they are when they offer you grease and you reject it.
    Breads, pasta, and potatoes are also big enemies of a nice body. Reduce them as much as possible.

1. jclaffee profile image69
      jclaffeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am a personal trainer and I provide alot of nutritional counsel to clients. You need to view food as a source of nutrition first, and a source of pleasure second. You have insight into the social aspects of eating healthy, you're on the right track

4. billybuc profile image86
    billybucposted 12 years ago

A controlled diet and exercise program under the guidance of a doctor or trained nutritionist (sp?)

5. PurvisBobbi44 profile image90
    PurvisBobbi44posted 12 years ago

I believe it starts is with an exercise program which one follows adamantly, with a good diet of  eating vegetables, fruit,  fish, chicken, seafood and beef once a week. 

And one should drink at least 8 glasses of water per day. I put slices of Lemon in mine, or lemon juice. With Lemon juice I drink my water with a straw, to protect my teeth from the acid, and I always drink ice water, as it helps to burn off calories, or so I have been told.

And this is what I will be doing starting Monday, thanks for reminding me—to think of me a little. As I believe I am getting a computer behind!!

Bobbi

6. Hestia DeVoto profile image59
    Hestia DeVotoposted 12 years ago

I lost 30 lbs in one year by cutting out a lot of sugar and carbohydrates, moderating my portions, cut out snacking and taking three or more hour-long walks per week.  It wasn't hard to understand and it didn't cost anything and only required consistent effort on my part. 

I think the portion control had the biggest effect.  If you read food packaging and learn what a serving really is you'll quickly realize that most people eat the equivalent of 3-4 servings of things instead of just one.

7. Leroyworld profile image60
    Leroyworldposted 12 years ago

As far as I can tell, the safest way to lose unwanted weight is gradually as a part of a "lifestyle change", usually involving exercise, breaking old eating habits, and making new eating habits.  (I believe the eating habits are the key if you hate exercise.  Besides,  just walking around the block could work. ) 

Efficiency will depend on who is losing weight, age, goals, etc. 

I am assuming that one's health is relatively good, and this is an attempt to avoid future issues.

8. ThatYossarian profile image59
    ThatYossarianposted 12 years ago

Although it's easier said than done, running a very moderate calorie deficit by balanced dieting will help anyone lose weight. A balanced diet broken up into four small meals throughout the day is usually the best.

Research has shown that a diet regime vs. a exercise regimen, with equal calorie deficits, is approximately equal in terms of effectively losing weight. However, an exercise regimen with a moderate cardiovascular workout is more effective than dieting alone in terms of improving cardiovascular markers of health such as blood pressure, plasma lipids, and inflammation.

9. KXTRA profile image67
    KXTRAposted 12 years ago

Honestly, the safest, and most efficient way I've ever lost weight was by cutting 500 calories from my diet and also burning 500 calories through exercise at least 5 days per week. It took about 2 months to see results, but if you can be patient and persistant and stick to your routine, the weight will seem to just fall right off.

Plus, it's not a diet - committing to consuming lower calories and to making exercise a priority is a lifestyle change. It's one that will get the weight off and KEEP it off.

10. BlossomSB profile image79
    BlossomSBposted 12 years ago

St. Paul reminded us to use moderation in all things and I think that is great advice. So eat well-balanced meals moderately and take moderate exercise, too. This is a regime that can be adhered to; some diets have us back and putting on weight the moment we stop.

11. wymyczak66 profile image76
    wymyczak66posted 12 years ago

Every diet boils down to making sure you burn more calories than you eat. That being said, there are online calculators to help you figure out how many calories you burn in a day depending on your activity level, age, bmi, etc. Take that number, and subtract 500 as a caloric goal. You should lose 1 lb per week depending on how well you maintain that caloric goal.

12. Made profile image61
    Madeposted 12 years ago

Great question, Sunshine. I have lost weight by eating no sugar and less carbohydrates combined with different physical activities. After my second pregnancy I didn't lose weight the first year even if I tried. Maybe it had something to do with the hormones. I've also heard that if you don't feel emotionally well, it can be harder to loose weight. It isn't good for your body to lose much weight in a short time. It can damage your body. I believe in eating healthy and exercising a little every or every second day, and take the bike instead of the car if you can! Now I will take a walk. smile

13. Sunshine625 profile image87
    Sunshine625posted 12 years ago

I'm impressed with all of the responses! Rutley had the fewest words, yet they were so accurate:)
    The weight appeared slowly and it should disappear the same way for weight loss success. There are no short cuts or easy ways to lose weight.

14. thepathtohealthy profile image61
    thepathtohealthyposted 12 years ago

I agree with most of the answers here. The best way to lose weight is literally a lifestyle change. Just eating healthy and exercise is a lot of it, but maintaining it is always the hardest things. That is always been my problem.

The thing that did it for my was counting calories. It's so hard to do but as far as eating healthy that always worked for me the best way.

15. modgirlok profile image60
    modgirlokposted 12 years ago

Diet and excercise. Eat mostly plants, and move your body whenever you can. It's relatively simple.

16. profile image0
    Dr Shehaposted 12 years ago

Exercise more and eat less is the most safest and effective way. But, this raises the question, can you? It is your decision.

17. mikejhca profile image94
    mikejhcaposted 12 years ago

For me the fastest way to lose weight is to avoid junk foods and high calorie drinks while exercising 5 or 6 days a week.  That way I consume fewer calories while burning more.  My concern is usually fat and not my weight.  So I do not care if my muscle weight increases.

Lately I have been losing between one and two  pounds each week but I am only exercising for short periods of time and not dieting.  To keep it interesting I have been doing different workouts.  You could try some cardio workouts to see what ones work the best for you.  It does not need to be strenuous.  I lost some weight playing Wii Sports games for a week.

To help maintain a good weight I have a healthy hobby.  My hobby is nature photography.  I go for long bike rides and hikes in the woods.

18. profile image0
    matama ellieposted 12 years ago

I have been struggling with excess weight over the past two years or so.It's getting better now .In my experience,exercising at least 30 minutes daily and a lifestyle change is the way to go.DIETS DO NOT WORK PEOPLE! I know for a fact that going on a diet is always temporary.Slow reduction of weight over a reasonable period of time is best.It is easier to keep the weight off afterward.
    Consistency is also key

19. profile image0
    Catzgendronposted 12 years ago

Going to see a nutritionist who can teach you how to control the portion size, the type of food that should or shouldn't be eaten, learn the difference between good fat value from unhealthy fat, from a food plan based off eating 6 small meals a day and walk 3 times a day, morning, afternoon and early evening.

20. i am x profile image59
    i am xposted 12 years ago

Definitely reducing your food is the key to lose weight. But anyway don't stay without any food, then you will faint of course. Try to reduce all foods containing fats and carbohydrate stuffs. Then the next step is regular exercise. I have read about this topic in many sites and they all suggest that we do something like aerobics or jogging or cycling in the morning and some heavy exercise in the evening. You should also drink a plenty of water. Finally patience is the key. You should not stop this all in the middle. Hop this helps

21. novembergal profile image58
    novembergalposted 12 years ago

I've had great success with Weight Watchers.

22. techiesindia profile image61
    techiesindiaposted 12 years ago

I would say the safest and easiest way to reduce your fat is only by Exercise.nothing else can reduce fat in a safer way. exercise affects the human body as a whole and makes you sweat. this doesn't mean that you should start working out hard and with all your energy. Just make your body sweat. start with ten to fifteen minutes on the first day and gradually increase it to half an hour or an hour. you may get tired in ten minutes on the first day , but gradually your stamina will rise.

Also don't starve yourself to death saying that this is diet. the body needs food and water for metabolism.plan your diet. Never eat till your satisfaction.
    avoid unhealthy junk products. vegetables and fresh items may be consumed.Restrictions should be made in case of obesity.

if you overeat on a particular day may be you should increase your work out time. all this can be done to reduce fat.

hope that was useful

23. fitmom profile image73
    fitmomposted 12 years ago

I don't think there's one answer to that question. It really depends on the person, how much they want or need to lose, and how motivated they are. Some people are good at watching what they eat but don't enjoy exercising; whereas, some people can't stand to limit what they eat but enjoy being active. I think that the best solution is dependent upon the individual's unique personality and body type. Once the weight is lost, the hardest part is maintaining by living a healthy lifestyle and not swinging from diet to diet (hence the term yo-yo dieting).

I've learned a lot of tips that help people to be healthy and to feel good. I hope to continue to add more hubs on this topic soon.

24. registerdomains profile image62
    registerdomainsposted 12 years ago

I lost 10 pounds over 30 days by shredding one meal. I started taking breakfast little late and avoid lunch,This method really works for me. I doesn't have the fatigue and dizziness, I just feel better than on the times when I was taking 3 meals per day. I also reduced red meat. You may try this method. I am almost sure that this method will work for you too.

25. pharuk temmy t profile image40
    pharuk temmy tposted 12 years ago

You just need a trainner and start a gym

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)