jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)

Does anyone sneeze when they look at the sun?

1. romper20 profile image84
    romper20posted 6 years ago

Does anyone sneeze when they look at the sun?

For some reason every morning on my way to the gym or while running on the trails when I look directly towards the sun or the general area my eyes water up and I sneeze. ALMOST everytime! Any one have any similar experiences?

2. Paul Kemp profile image74
    Paul Kempposted 6 years ago

It used to happen to me after leaving the cool darkness of church on Sunday morning and getting out into the bright Florida sun. Almost every time, it seemed.

3. fordie profile image74
    fordieposted 6 years ago

Yes - I think of it as an allergy ...

It's funny. I have accepted this but never thought to ask if anyone else suffers the same. Nice to know it's not just me

4. romper20 profile image84
    romper20posted 6 years ago

I agree Fordie! In a way i love it because its my "wake up call." Getting all the toxins and ickey stuff out lol

5. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

When my oldest daughter steps outside in any bright daylight, she sneezes, so does her oldest daughter.

6. SmartAndFun profile image96
    SmartAndFunposted 6 years ago

My son and I don't, but my husband and daughter do. I read about it in one of my kids "believe it or not" books. It is an actual condition that has been named by science (I don't remember what it is called). I think the book said about 25% of people have this condition. I believe it has something to do with the sun or a bright light stimulating nerve cells. (?). Maybe someone more knowledgable will chime in here. And to think, when I met my husband, I just thought he was quirky. Very interesting!

7. mattforte profile image91
    mattforteposted 6 years ago

It's called "Photic Sneezing Disorder"
    I have it, as many do. That's why they say "look up at a light when you're about to sneeze" because for many, myself included - it works.

The Airforce almost banned people with PSD from being fighter pilots, for fear of sneezing when coming out of cloud cover. For whatever reason, this did not happen.

8. Josh Lakie profile image53
    Josh Lakieposted 6 years ago

I have never heard of this happening to anyone. That is very interesting that it could cause someone to sneeze. Looking into the sun doesn't cause me to sneeze personally, but I definitely squint my eyes!

9. AnnaCia profile image85
    AnnaCiaposted 6 years ago

That happens to me all the time, and I love the feeling.

10. old albion profile image71
    old albionposted 6 years ago

Yes. This works for me. If I feel a sneeze coming on and I look at the sun or a light then I sneeze. Interesting to read that there is a medical term for this.

11. Made profile image60
    Madeposted 6 years ago

It happens to me all the time. I just need to look at the bathroom lamp every morning to sneeze. It makes me wake up. smile

12. Bravo Lelouch profile image60
    Bravo Lelouchposted 6 years ago

yes...it's kind of allergy..but i haven't come across anyone who sneezes when they look at the sun.