jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

To get ready for basic, what workouts did you use?

1. Teeugh profile image53
    Teeughposted 6 years ago

To get ready for basic, what workouts did you use?

Hello Jessica, I am training for the U.S. Army. I am 15 pounds over what they need me at, and I was wondering if you had any advice for me to prepare myself. I am short, yet strong. I hate running, but I understand I better learn to love it and have been forcing myself to do so. I really liked your page on what females should know before they go into basic, it gave me a good  insight on what I should know, and be aware of.

2. TheRunningHamster profile image58
    TheRunningHamsterposted 6 years ago

Hello Teeugh,

While I'm not a female, I have known several females who are in the Army. One of the things that the Army typically does is known as 60/120's. This is where you sprint for 60 seconds and walk for 120 seconds. Initially, you will do 30/60's in basic and eventually move up to 60/120's. When running, don't run longer than 2 or 3 miles, because that is the maximum you will likely do in basic training.

It's okay to start out slow. The whole point of exercise in basic training is to get you in shape to pass a pt test in the army. Find out what your minimum run time will be on a pt test and strive towards that in your exercise practice.

Hope this helps!

3. soconfident profile image84
    soconfidentposted 6 years ago

Push-up sit-ups lunges, squats, jogging, chin-up. these will get you in shape

4. Teeugh profile image53
    Teeughposted 6 years ago

Thanks, Running Hamster! I have been going by the PT test. Sit-up are a no problem. Just have to focus on running and push-ups. @_@ I have 6 months to prepare, so I know I will be able to do well at basic. But, thanks again! I will defiantly put the walk/sprint method into my workouts.

working