Can someone please explain to me the radiation procedure to kill cancer cells?

1. rlaha profile image68
    rlahaposted 6 years ago

Can someone please explain to me the radiation procedure to kill cancer cells?

I am not sure how this works. Thanks.

2. Just About It profile image68
    Just About Itposted 6 years ago

Radiation is used to kill cancer cells by killing them and also by disrupting their ability to perform cell division. There are many mechanisms in which radiation achieves this. Protecting normal cells is important since radiation can't determine which is a cancer cell and which is a normal cell. Since cancer cells and normal cells reproducethrough cell division at different rates, a radiation dose is delivered at intervals to maximize cancer cell death and allowing normal cells to recover.

3. kwade tweeling profile image90
    kwade tweelingposted 6 years ago

Just About It gave a good overview. I would like to add:

The radiation is used to bombard the area where the cancer is determined to reside (Either with an external device, or inserting radioactive materials into the afflicted area). This treatment is very painful and difficult on the body as it requires the destruction of not just the cancer but healthy cells in the area as well.

The effect of using radiation is damage on the genetic level. The DNA of the cancer and typically the cells in proximity is damaged or destroyed. It does not, nor is it expected to, typically work. "Cancer survivors" are the people who have lived for longer than the expected life span of a cancer victim. (There is much debate over this practice.)

For a comprehensive look at the official medical industry data check the National Cancer Institute's official site here: … /radiation

If you want alternative treatments to cancer, search online and be persistent. Doctors often cannot help as they are bound by medical guidelines to follow "proper procedure" that is dictated by our greedy medical industry.