jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

When you have an injury, do you go to a chiropractor or medical doctor?

  1. Kenna McHugh profile image87
    Kenna McHughposted 6 years ago

    When you have an injury, do you go to a chiropractor or medical doctor?

  2. woodamarc profile image67
    woodamarcposted 6 years ago

    I always go to a medical doctor first. Although chiropractor's provide a valuable service.  Sometimes in dealing with acute pain issue's it is best to be referred to a physiatrist (pain management specialist) by the primary care physician.  In this way you'll not be limited to one type of pain management resource.  Physiatrist's are able to access and refer numerous alternative pain management resources including chiropractic services if covered by insurance.

    1. SpinePainJNC profile image62
      SpinePainJNCposted 3 years agoin reply to this

      Most minor acute injuries can be handled by a competent primary care physician.  If a fracture is involved, an orthopedic surgeon is usually indicated for optimal outcome. In practice, most physiatrists refer to physical therapists.

  3. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

    I am very leery of chiropractors due to something that happened with my husband. He should have been at a medical doctor but the chiropractor kept wrenching on his back finally injuring it further.

  4. My Nurse Says profile image62
    My Nurse Saysposted 6 years ago

    doctors... sorry... i am biased... hahahaha

  5. mbwalz profile image89
    mbwalzposted 6 years ago

    Osteopathic Doctor. With my Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, I get injuries constantly. He's in a unique position of understanding my muscular-skeletal system, while being able to get me accute pain care, refer me to PT, acupuncture, or even sugurgy if needed. For my needs, he IS my primary care doctor, coordinating my health care I a way even my actual primary care cannot.

    Although many modern chiropractors and MDs deserve respect, I choose an Osteopathic doctor with vast OMT experience for this kind of care, hands down.

  6. kozmo profile image60
    kozmoposted 6 years ago

    I think you should first go to your family doctor and discuss your injury.  Next, rather than going with medications, assess yourself how you feel.  Going to an assessment from a chiropractor is certainly a worthwhile plan.  I have experienced numerous and severe injuries, and over the years it is a chiropractor that brought me relief from on-going stiffness, pain and headaches.  They also give you great advice for stretching, self care and general good advice for healthy living.  Once I could not move my shoulder and arm and my chiropractor resolved my issue with 2 treatments.  I completely trust and give gratitude to the help my chiropractors over the years have given me.  Of course, it all depends upon the severity and complexity of your injury as to when you need the medical doctor versus the chiropractor.

  7. Mekenzie profile image82
    Mekenzieposted 6 years ago

    Usually my D.O.  Last year though I awoke with extreme pain in my hip.  It came out of the blue.  I scheduled an appointment with my physician while my husband was urging me to let our chiropractor look at it first.  I told him, the pain is too deep - I need a medical doctor but he kept urging me.
    I finally caved and thought it wouldn't hurt to have him look at it.  I was very glad I went .. I was wheeled in the office with my mother-in-laws wheelchair .. lol   It was something that he could address and he did. 
    Later that day I saw the D.O. and told him that the pain was already reduced.  I asked him what he would have done if I had come to him first.  He said "Give you a shot of cortisone."   I don't do well on cortisone so I was happy it was addressed and corrected drug free.  I was extra happy when my daughter called to tell me to head for the hospital she was in labor.  I went .. wheel-chair and pain free.  smile

  8. Adamowen profile image79
    Adamowenposted 6 years ago

    When I train for powerlifting meets I get injuries quite often even with spending 8 hours+ a week getting massages, foam rolling, stretching etc. I know my local physiotherapist by first name because I am always in there. Visiting these people is a good option if you have the money to do so, or you can visit your GP in the UK and they will refer you to a Physio for free.