jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do you motivate yourself?

1. Bldg an Architect profile image66
    Bldg an Architectposted 6 years ago

How do you motivate yourself?

2. Born2care2001 profile image74
    Born2care2001posted 6 years ago

Self motivation, for me comes from self-examination, reflection, meditation and affirmation.
    Self-examination to know and understand what I really want.
    Reflection to measure how I'm doing against my goals.
    Meditation to insure that what I think I want is what I really want and what I'm called to do.
    and affirmation to keep me prepared to go on when the going gets tough!
    Maybe the biggest factor in motivation for me is knowing that I don't know everything, I don't have everything and I'm not all that and a bag of chips. But, I also understand that from the day I was born into this world until today, I know enough, I have enough and I am enough to do whatever I set out to do!
    Great question!

3. profile image0
    mcals71posted 6 years ago

Born2care2001 that's a beautiful answer, and I like your "handle." I think everybody is motivated by something different, depending on what they are looking for. Losing motivation can lead to depression. Parents are motivated by their love for their children, the Clergy and Religious are motivated by their determination to adhere to their Rule and Vows out of obedience to the Church, criminals are motivated by greed and their dark fantasies. So I think this is a question that can only lead to a strictly subjective answer. In my personal case my response is that my love for God is the main drive for all that I do, think and say, and since God is love I am resolved to always strive to do the most loving thing.

4. Dbro profile image96
    Dbroposted 6 years ago

What a great question!  From my perspective, I find that I am motivated by setting goals and working to attain them.  From a professional standpoint, I have always found goal setting to be relatively easy.  I am an artist, so my goals are maybe not quite the same as people in different businesses.  Since I truly love what I do, it isn't hard to remain motivated. 

I run into trouble at times when I worry too much about how others respond to my work, or get into comparing myself against others in my field who might appear more successful in the world's terms.  When I remain focused on my work and doing the best I can within my circle of influence, I am very satisfied with my life and motivation comes naturally.