jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Can you get over being scared of the dark?

1. Victoria Lynn profile image91
    Victoria Lynnposted 6 years ago

Can you get over being scared of the dark?

Whether child or adult, is it possible to get over a fear of the dark? How?

2. msorensson profile image71
    msorenssonposted 6 years ago

I would recommend going through the process of undoing it, the fear of the dark, only when you have a lot of time and resources and lots of capable help..

If one wants to do it a little at a time then they should begin with meditation....

3. joyfuldesigns profile image66
    joyfuldesignsposted 6 years ago

Yes.  I used to be terrified of the dark, I am no longer.  Not exactly sure when that happened, as it wasn't something I focused on getting over, but over time, it just did.

4. lucybell21 profile image80
    lucybell21posted 6 years ago

I would like to say yes, but it is like any other fear, such as flying, heights, elevators, esculators etc. I think once we are afraid of something we really have a hard time getting over it, and somewhere deep down inside of us there has to be a reason why we are afraid of things. So I'm not sure that we can.

5. Ruchira profile image76
    Ruchiraposted 6 years ago

What are you scared of? This hub will walk you down your fears and help you overcome it. read more

6. vocalcoach profile image99
    vocalcoachposted 6 years ago

I used to be afraid of the dark and wanted to overcome this fear. I began to pray for an inner feeling of safety, asking for God to protect me.It worked!

I also found a beautiful butterfly nightlite for my bedroom. I focus on the beautiful glowing colors instead of the darkness of my room.

Along with the little lite, I now have a beautiful glowing rock in cinnamon and pink colors. I have filled my room with little glimmers of light which comfort me.

This is how I conquered fear of the dark.

7. teaches12345 profile image94
    teaches12345posted 6 years ago

I think we are a little apprehensive when we are in dark places.  It is the fear of the unknown that makes us fearful.  Once, we deal with that fear, we can face the darkness.  I love to quote Psalms 23's "though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil; for thy rod and staff comforts me.."  It helps tremendosuly.