What is a Mediterranean Diet?

1. ngureco profile image84
    ngurecoposted 5 years ago

What is a Mediterranean Diet?

What are the common features of a Mediterranean Diet? Can Walnuts grown in California qualify as components of a Mediterranean diet?

2. profile image0
    Dilaniaposted 5 years ago

A Mediterranean Diet isn't like a fad diet or a diet that is necessarily to lose weight. It's a really healthy way of eating that includes healthy food and exercise. It's called Mediterranean Diet because this is the natural way people ate in the Mediterranean. This way of eating is followed in Italy. Wonder how they eat all that pasta and get away with it? It's whole grain pasta, not the refined stuff many people eat here in the states. Common features of a Mediterranean Diet are...

fruits, vegetables, nuts (so, yes walnuts are good but nuts should not be eaten in large amounts as they are high in fat), beans, whole grain pastas/breads/rice/flour, usually bread is eaten dipped in a bit of olive oil, which is next on my list: olive oil, usually fish and poultry a few times a week and red meat is limited (i'd say a few times a month), also limit eggs (roughly up to 4 eggs/week),  moderate amount of dairy products- lowfat or no fat milk, cheese, yogurt. and, lastly, red wine (no more than 5oz/day for woman, no more than 10oz/day for men). Also, salt isn't really used much. Instead herbs and spices are used.

I know that's a pretty dense list. Let me know if you'd like me to write a hub on this with more details and such. Hope this helps!

3. algarveview profile image90
    algarveviewposted 5 years ago

What is the mediterranean diet, facts, health benefits and some tips and recipes to follow this great food pattern that will help you live a longer, healthier life. read more

working