jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What diet fads have you tried?

1. CastleQueen profile image60
    CastleQueenposted 6 years ago

What diet fads have you tried?

Did they work?

2. shesacraftymom profile image74
    shesacraftymomposted 6 years ago

I used to try fad diets. I did the Atkins diet and Suzzane Somers diet which is basically a low carb diet. I couldn't keep doing no carbs because I was lightheaded a lot. The Suzanne Somers diet, as funny as it sounds, got me from 220 to 190 pounds so it was a good starter diet for me. I am pretty sure she has a slew of books out now about how to eat. Now I eat mostly according to the Mediterranean Diet which was recommended by my doctor and I've had great results. I'm at 148 now. The Mediterranean Diet is really not a fad diet, but just a better way to eat.  Going from 220 to 190 took me about 4 months. Took me another 10 months to get to 148.

3. Turtlewoman profile image96
    Turtlewomanposted 6 years ago

When I was young and didn't know any better, I did the cabbage soup diet. It was a strict 7 day program that made me lose a quick 5 lbs in a week. The problem with that diet it that it's just a quick fix, unhealthy and you can gain back easily. Needless to say I don't do that anymore!

4. betsuz profile image72
    betsuzposted 6 years ago

I tried so many I can't count. But that was way before I found out that they don't work at all!

Yeah, you lose some weight but then you regain the weight back over and over. (Yo Yo dieting).

What really works is eating a healthy diet and getting regular exercise. It works, It's good for you, and it's cheap. There's only one problem, it's not fast. Everyone wants a quick fix - A fast way to lose weight. I want that too. But, I know what works and what doesn't and fad diets don't work. sad

5. profile image0
    trainer ben gamonposted 6 years ago

fad diets don't work. you need the three main macronutrients in your diet. if you disregard one, you might lose weight, but you will put it back on once you resume eating the same macronutrient you stopped eating in first place.

6. Adamowen profile image79
    Adamowenposted 6 years ago

I personally experiment with various diets as part of my studies. Speaking from experience and extensive amounts of empirical research data I have come to the conclusion that is widely misunderstood but should be common sense. The secret formula is this... are you ready?

To lose weight (water, body fat, lean tissue) consume less calories

To gain weight (water, body fat, lean tissue) consume more calories

That's it, no more no less. The only considerations that need to be implied are macro tracking. Consume 1lb of protein per lb of bodyweight, 0.5g of fat per lb of bodyweight and then fill the rest with carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are not "evil" and do not solely cause fat gain. The gylcemic index is irrelevant and has been dis proven to be irrelevant with a huge amount of studies.

The type of foods is also widely misunderstood. "bad" foods are made up from the same things as "good" foods. The key is moderation, use your head to know when enough is enough or when consuming 10 doughnuts without fitting it into your macro's for the day is silly.

If you wan't any more information you can check out some of my upcoming hubs!

And to anyone that disagrees with anything feel free to let me know and I will drop you the studies and we can talk and help you gain some new knowledge!

working