jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)

How many diets have you tried, and were any of them successful for your aim?

1. Grace-Wolf-30 profile image60
    Grace-Wolf-30posted 4 years ago

How many diets have you tried, and were any of them successful for your aim?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8126935_f260.jpg

2. PoeticPhilosophy profile image81
    PoeticPhilosophyposted 4 years ago

Diets simply don't work, restriction of the body doesn't mix. But if any were succesful I would say for other people it would be paleo, or being a vegan.

3. Just Ask Susan profile image90
    Just Ask Susanposted 4 years ago

I'm currently on a lower-carb diet and since February I've lost a total of 35 pounds. I try to look at it as more of a life-style change than a diet.
    I did have success on the SlimFast diet but ended up gaining all the weight I'd lost back.

Grace-Wolf-30posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I understand what you mean about a lifestyle change rather than a diet, because if weight loss is your aim, a lifestyle change is much longer lasting than a quick fix diet. I'm not fond on slimfast. I think it exploits peoples vulnerabilities. Thanks

4. Alphadogg16 profile image91
    Alphadogg16posted 4 years ago

Diets work for a period of time, putting restrictions on your body will only send it into a "starvation state", and when your eating habits return to normal, more than likely you will gain that weight back. A diet changes your weight, not your body. You need to change your body composition (muscle to fat ratio) along with a eating healthy. Otherwise you will be on a roller coaster of losing and gaining, no matter which diet you chose to jump on.

5. cathylynn99 profile image78
    cathylynn99posted 4 years ago

I follow the Mediterranean diet for its many proven health benefits. that alone did not cause weight loss. I had to also count calories to lose 35#. I have kept it off for ten years.

Grace-Wolf-30posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Your success is good news, and I totally agree with you about the Mediterranean diet.

6. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

Yes, I have tried many diets. The one that works for me is simply watching portions and leaving out junk or crap food. So I guess it is counting calories and eating sensibly. Weight Watchers works best in that regard for me.

7. lupine profile image73
    lupineposted 4 years ago

I haven't tried that many because I realize a "diet" is only temporary. I have seen too many people go on diets, lose weight--then gain it back. There are some that I can't even remember when they were not on a diet. Years ago, I took a nutrition class at a local hospital and they explained that it is a life-style we must follow in what we eat. This is not a temporary change, but for the rest of our lives. This obviously, includes healthy, nutritious food and staying away from excessive fats and sugar. It is not depriving yourself of that piece of pie, or chocolate brownie you love, but actually enjoying it when you do have it every so often, in moderation --without the guilt. It has helped me, and I am conscious of what I eat.

8. chef-de-jour profile image97
    chef-de-jourposted 4 years ago

Crash diets and quick fix regimes tend to exasperate those people I know who've tried them. They put the weight back on after a few weeks, become a little bit depressed then go on to the next fix. It's sad.
    I wrote a hub about losing weight naturally, without stress. I think if you're prepared to dig deep, get support, follow a plan that is not based on drastic cuts you're half way there.The next step is to try and take responsibility for the regime and make it a priority in your life.
    For some this is very difficult, understandably. Not everyone has time and there are so many distractions these days which sometimes people use as excuses not to stay the course!

working