jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

How Old do you have to be, to be Old?

1. Pearldiver profile image80
    Pearldiverposted 6 years ago

How Old do you have to be, to be Old?

Exactly who determines how old we have to be, to be considered to be old?  What specifically defines 'Old' and how do you feel about that?

2. MickS profile image70
    MickSposted 6 years ago

It is relative; to, say, a 5 year old a 15 year old is ancient, 3 times his life, so to 15 year old, a 45 year old is ancient but the 45 year old still feels as he did at, say, 18 .

3. GypsyFootedWoman profile image75
    GypsyFootedWomanposted 6 years ago

This is a valid question. Most of the time we let the world or society dictate what “old” is. In fact I wrote a hub about the dreaded 30 and how silly it is. Ultimately, old is simply in the mind, when our bodies age we could tell ourselves we are too old to do one thing or another but that’s a defeatist thought process. We have such a limited time on this planet in comparison to the universe even if we live to 110 yrs. old we are still mere babies. So why not embrace our youthfulness until our last breath leaves us?!

4. Nagatang profile image74
    Nagatangposted 6 years ago

You are OLD when basically all your friend die off and all your talks is personal history, regardless what is your age.
    You are YOUNG at age seventy when you find climbing Mount Everest is still your game and climbing that 4 story building using the stair case instead of lift does not matter.

5. Russell-D profile image82
    Russell-Dposted 6 years ago

When the world stops asking you for answers. When your relevence no longer matters.   The time is different for each of us.

6. Jeffrey Sherknus profile image61
    Jeffrey Sherknusposted 6 years ago

Age is not a number.  It's a state of mind.  I have met many folks who seem very young, but by their acutal age, they would be considered quite old, and vice versa.  Some people are very active and bubbly past their 70's and others wind up in wheelchairs or bed ridden.  Your health has quite a bit to do with how well you age.  If you are healthy and active, I believe you have a better chance of aging well.

The average life expectancy of men and women is slightly different, but for general conversation, that would be about 80 years old.  There is a significant number of the population that is older and quite active.  I would consider these people young for their age.

The US Government now has the retirement age at 67 years old.  They have concluded that once you achieve that age, you are no longer viably employable and you are eligible to collect social security payments.

AARP has used the age of 50 as the minimum age required for membership.  However, I think this is mainly to increase their membership and that this is the age that you start pondering your retirement and issues regarding retirement and aging start to become of some importance to you.

In conclusion, you are only as old as you feel, but I would actually peg the official qualification as being old at somewhere around 70 years old.  In my opinion, this would be the winter of your life.  But I would encourage everyone to prove me wrong.

7. Hayley Richardson profile image81
    Hayley Richardsonposted 6 years ago

Fifteen years older than me is what I take to be old and the actual age goes up each year as my own does.

working