Why do women take the contraceptive pill?

1. Naomi Jayne profile image58
    Naomi Jayneposted 6 years ago

Why do women take the contraceptive pill?

When it has only been out since the 1960's and probably still dont know of the repercussions it has on the body, let alone the mind? Is it harmful? who really knows? should we be more careful with prescriptions from the doctor?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6381599_f260.jpg

2. ii3rittles profile image81
    ii3rittlesposted 6 years ago

I was on it in my teen years to regulate my hormones. It made me ill, so I said I would never take it again. I don't think women take it seriously. With every pill they take, they take a risk. Who knows what its actually doing to their bodies. For all we know, its actually killing babies just as abortion does. I don't think they are safe. I never did. I understand not wanting to have a kid when you are not financially stable or if you are sexually active outside of marriage and don't want a child with the wrong person... Either way, I'll stick to saving sex for marriage and using condoms. I don't trust 99% of what doctors dish out.

3. Hayley Richardson profile image81
    Hayley Richardsonposted 6 years ago

Most people I know take it because of their hormones but some take it as birth control and some just because they can't be bothered to have a period.  Personally I have never taken oral contraceptives for the exact reason you state- I don't trust medications that aren't 100% necessary to be good for my body.  When I joined my local surgery I just went in for an initial check up and the doctor tried to pressure me into getting a contraceptive implant, which I refused.  She then tried to sell it to me on the basis that I'd have less periods and I told her that as it was natural and healthy for a woman my age to have them, I couldn't understand her reasoning.  Finally she started on with the whole 'what if you get pregnant' spiel.  Apparently she had never heard of condoms.

At the end of the day it's personal choice and some women need them for health reasons but I do think healthy women should look at other methods of contraception before jumping straight into taking the pill.

working