jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How can I tell if I'm addicted to sugar?

1. SmartAndFun profile image98
    SmartAndFunposted 5 years ago

How can I tell if I'm addicted to sugar?

I love sugar and always want to eat candy. I know it's bad for me but I crave it. Do you think I could be addicted?

2. Emma Harvey profile image91
    Emma Harveyposted 5 years ago

I don't believe sugar is addictive - you are obviously getting a 'hit' from it though. Your blood sugar level goes up very quickly giving you energy, then it comes crashing down making you tired. You then want something sweet again.

I always want sugary food when I'm tired.

Eat wholemeal carbs or nuts and seeds instead, which prolong and steady your blood sugar levels. Cut down on sugar and your body will adjust. The more sweet things you have the more desensitized you are to the taste - making you tolerate it more.

If you cut it down, hopefully you won't like it too sweet eventually ...

3. Khal Blogo profile image60
    Khal Blogoposted 5 years ago

Try not eating any for a week. If you kill somebody in that period, then you might be addicted.

4. VirginiaLynne profile image99
    VirginiaLynneposted 5 years ago

From what I've read, it seems that eating a lot of refined sugar (especially on an empty stomach) rises our blood sugar really fast and that "high" of energy can be addicting.  I've been trying to avoid eating refined (added) sugars and I have noticed that when I do eat a sweet--even just a small bite--I really want more.  Also, I can want sweets even if I'm actually full and wouldn't really want to eat other foods.  On the Naturally Slim program of weight loss I've done (see my hub for a review) Marsha Upson says that a primary way to lose weight is to not eat when you aren't hungry at a level 3.  She defines Level 3 as when you would eat that leftover cassarole in the refrigerator.

working