jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Does running on a treadmill hurt your knees?

1. Vellur profile image91
    Vellurposted 5 years ago

Does running on a treadmill hurt your knees?

2. ggirlz profile image61
    ggirlzposted 5 years ago

yes! I cannot run on a treadmill due to sharp pains.

3. Shahid Bukhari profile image60
    Shahid Bukhariposted 5 years ago

No ... but do be careful ... NEVER "over-exercise" ...

When exercising,
    Know the limitations of your body ...
    If running on the treadmill, hurts your Knees ... its possible, that you are
    overdoing the thing ...
    The best thing to do is, give "rest" to your Knees ... or any other
    aching joint or ligament in your body ...
    Because, if you don't heed the body's warning ... you are headed for Arthritis ...

Arthritis is a Condition, not a Disease ... that can be avoided by Moderation ... be Moderate in your physical Actions ... take Calcium ... lots of it ... as Milk ...
    If Rest, and increased Calcium intake does not alleviate the pain, consult your Physician.

4. Bonitaanna profile image81
    Bonitaannaposted 5 years ago

Running on any hard surface will eventully take its toll on the knees.  Running on the trampoline will rebuild the knees!  I praise the Lord my knees are still in good condition at my age.  My husbands knees are very bad because he was a paraschuter out of airplanes when he was younger.  He jumper over 500 times during the war.  The joints need a lot of Hyrulonic accid. That is the what keeps the sponge between the joint moist.  Once you loose that the sponge becomes hard and dry.  Most people don't drink enough water and that helps create that problem.  Our joints also need MSM, it is joint suffur.

5. fitmom profile image83
    fitmomposted 5 years ago

Running or any high impact exercise is hard on the knees. It's not necessary to run in order to be fit or to get in shape. There are plenty of other ways to achieve these goals.

6. rave1432 profile image61
    rave1432posted 5 years ago

I have bad knees and treadmills hurt less than pavement or sidewalks. I prefer ground and grass, but a treadmill is my second. A good alternative is a bike machine, I can go miles on those. They can have a little resistance to them and keep your distance, well some can anyway.

7. fit2day profile image78
    fit2dayposted 5 years ago

I hate treadmills, they bore the crap out of me and I always feel like I'm going to fall. As for them being bad for the knees, I'd say much of that depends on the person, speed their going, and how they land with each step.

I think elliptical machines are much better as the knees aren't bothered by impact.

working