jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Why does it get worse when you say it can't?

1. KeithJK profile image59
    KeithJKposted 6 years ago

Why does it get worse when you say it can't?

2. lburmaster profile image85
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

Just to prove you wrong. Learn not to think about "It can't get worse". Trust me. It always can get worse. In any situation I have been in, I can think of at least 5 things that could have gone wrong that didn't. It always makes me feel better but then I have anxiety that they will happen. Sometimes a mind is a good thing to lose.

3. Suhail and my dog profile image88
    Suhail and my dogposted 6 years ago

Great question.

I will be writing a hub shortly on a related matter :-)

Suffice is to say for now that our tendency to say "It can't get worse" in any area is directly proportional to our level of overconfidence in that area. The most well established finding in the overconfidence literature is the tendency of the people to be to be most overconfident of the correctness of their answers when their knowledge of a question area is low. On the other hand, people typically demonstrate no overconfidence, and often some under-confidence, to question areas with which they are familiar. 

In my opinion therefore, when we are saying "it can't get worse", we are saying it because of our overconfidence in matters we are least knowledgeable about. Hence, it is surely going to get worse.

4. carol3san profile image60
    carol3sanposted 6 years ago

It depends.  Actually I've seen both sides of that scenario.  As a former nurse, I've seen individuals so sick, it appeared that they were about to take their last breath at any moment; but the next visit I made with them they are sitting up in bed eatting and talking.

On the opposite end of that scenario, once upon a time I experienced one problem after another.  My washing machine and dryer broke almost at the same time;  A short time later I needed both a new stove and refridgerator...also a dish washer.  I kid you not!  All of these things happened about the same time.  I believe it was because they were all purchased around the same time when I bought the house.  at that time I'd been living in the house for about 12 years.

If you are speaking about finance, usually as soon as you get one problemn solved, up pops another one.  You can almost depend upon that.

5. Vladimir Uhri profile image60
    Vladimir Uhriposted 6 years ago

I am Bible lover. There is not found references:"I can't" or try. Do it! Since I eliminated word I "can't" my life completely changed. Our words are seeds. They are producing after their kind. If you say "I can't" you will be unable to do.
    Of course in the natural I cannot fly since I do not have flying licence yet. But expecting supernatural it is better go positive way.

6. connieow profile image77
    connieowposted 6 years ago

Because. Ever heard of Murphy's Law?

I stopped saying that "it cannot get any worse." Cuz, it always can.

However, if it gets worse, it is due to an inaction on our part. What I mean by inaction is, not considering solutions, not planning, not looking at all angles. Not.

Thank you Keith for guiding me to think.

working