jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Have you ever been in a fire drill?

1. algarveview profile image88
    algarveviewposted 5 years ago

Have you ever been in a fire drill?

What did you learn from it? Do you will act different in a fire, because you were in a fire drill? Yes, no, why?

2. rmcleve profile image82
    rmcleveposted 5 years ago

In school, we had fire drills all the time. Although I have never been in a real fire, I felt my experiences prepared me. Why? I have an innate sense of what to do in an emergency because I have been trained to respond proactively.

Really though, school fire drills are not the best ways to teach fire safety (but that's also not their intention).

At times, the local fire departments would set up fake houses and bring out their trucks to show us exactly what it would be like to be in a fire, hot door knobs and all. These experiences on the trucks and in their practice houses were the most useful.

3. Peggy W profile image93
    Peggy Wposted 5 years ago

Not since I was in school many years ago have I been in a fire drill.  What we learned was to exit the building in orderly fashion (no panicking, no running, etc.) and to close doors which would help keep localized fire from spreading as fast.  Since that time, I have learned more.  Example: had there been smoke, then getting close to the floor where there is more oxygen would help.  Also covering of the mouth and nose with fabric could help.  If in a motel room...feel the door.  If it is hot, stay in the room and put wet fabric along the underside of the door to keep smoke and fire from entering.  Much more could be written about this topic!  Good question.

4. Rosie2010 profile image75
    Rosie2010posted 5 years ago

I had been in so many fire drills.. in school, at work, in apartment buildings. 

My recent experience was in my local library.  Because we all knew it was just a fire drill, people were very calm.  I, myself, collected all my belongings and was one of the last ones to get out.  However, if it was a real fire, I would still collect my belongings but at super speed and get the heck out of there in hurry. 

Why?  Fear.  During fire drills, there is no fear.  Real fire, there is fear... fear of getting burn, fear of smoke inhalation, even fear of dying.

5. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image58
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

Many - I have worked in the medical field for decades and we have them every few months. What I learned is to have a plan. I also learned how to operate a fire extinguisher if need be.

6. jdavis88 profile image93
    jdavis88posted 5 years ago

have been in them and have given them...  EVERYONE acts differently in a fire exept maybe children if it is their first drill.  Everyone thinks slowly and rationally in a drill...

One thing I have learned is that many people are inconsiderate and grouchy when you make them leave their coffee or their conference call, yet they expect firefighters to be chipper when they call us out at 2 am for burned popcorn...