jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What are the advantages or disadvantages of exercising with bare feet?

1. ThePracticalMommy profile image96
    ThePracticalMommyposted 6 years ago

What are the advantages or disadvantages of exercising with bare feet?

2. kjrzeek1 profile image68
    kjrzeek1posted 6 years ago

The benefits are that if you exercise barefoot, you are giving your body its most natural positioning.  You will be more stable and be able to get a better feel for the weights and how your body is reacting to the movements.  The disadvantages are pretty large depending where you are working out.  Stares, infection, fungus, broken toes, and maybe the smell, just to name a few.  Anyway I have done it, and enjoyed it, but it is not for everyone! Hope this helped.

3. teaches12345 profile image93
    teaches12345posted 6 years ago

I used to exercise with bare feet up until a year ago. Now I have to wear really supportive sneakers due to an injury.  I do love the cushioned support of the shoes since the tiled floors are a hard surface to work against.

4. heavenbound5511 profile image79
    heavenbound5511posted 6 years ago

Advantage- not having hot sweaty feet- disadvantage would be lack of support of your ankles & exposing your feet to injury.

Now indoor floor exercises, like pilates I can see no problem with no shoes-unless it's something that requires you to up on your feet for more than a short time...

5. DreamerMeg profile image90
    DreamerMegposted 6 years ago

There are some people who always go barefoot, for instance Zola Budd ran barefoot and even competed in the Olympics barefoot. I knew someone who always went barefoot and could even walk over thorns without being hurt. Personally, I prefer to wear footwear at all times when I am out of bed, especially when exercising, unless it is a stretching type class, such as Pilates or Yoga, where class teachers often ask you to go barefoot. In classes where there is a lot of movement, such as aerobics, circuits, step, etc, I feel it is almost imperative to wear good footwear. For instance, even hands can get sweaty and slip, so with sweating feet, you could fall and get a nasty injury. Footwear doesn't protect you from ALL injury, such as twisting injuries, but it can certainly save you from a lot.

working