With all the knowledge we have about bad food, why do we still continue to eat b

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)
  1. ii3rittles profile image78
    ii3rittlesposted 12 years ago

With all the knowledge we have about bad food, why do we still continue to eat bad food?

Unhealthy food causes malutrition, disease and a bunch of problems if eaten on a regular basis... Why do we (The the US) continue to eat it?

2. Inventurist profile image76
    Inventuristposted 12 years ago

Actually a pretty easy answer. Much of the information given about food is extremely exaggerated and usually has an ulterior motive. A good example, back in the 1980s you were either going to die from salmonellae or cholesterol if you ate eggs. However, if you would just eat the new cereal that came out about that time full of bran, well you would live forever. This has been a cycle forever and the general population is more or less wise to it. Those who are less wise end up in the fringe reactions - that is either they take it to heart and quit eating whatever they are told is bad for them (vegans leaving all forms of animal protein for example) or they aren't listening at all and eat too much of things that aren't good for you (which are the ones who eat all of their meals and kids meals at BK and choose only the fried, or extra meat meals). You can't fix stupid so some percentage of the public is going to fit into this group. The gullible will fall for all kinds of stuff and this may include only eating veggies or only eating oranges, instead of a reasonable balance of a variety of foods. They forget, humans, as much as some folks want to forget, are the TOP of the food chain.

3. usmlefacts profile image59
    usmlefactsposted 12 years ago

We tend to yield to temptation and have a lack of restraint when it comes to satisfying our taste palate. I think it starts with education and awareness. Its difficult especially when we are around people who are eating healthy as well. It makes it harder. For instance, think about making a fresh salad when you have ribs, steaks and red meat grilled and waiting. Its hard unless you start thinking outside the box.

Most people wait until they are diagnosed with high blood pressure, cholesterol or another condition associated with poor eating habits to start thinking a bit. Junk food and unhealthy foods come in many choices especially those processed boxed foods. There isn't as much selection or wow factor associated with fruits and vegetables. Also, there are many chemicals in junk food that make you crave the salt and MSG flavoring.

Great question. Hopefully, more people do change as many of the conditions that come from poor eating are life long. Its better than taking medication for life; because you cannot forego your poor eating habits. Its the cost of indulgence. And it is costly especially being admitted to the hospital.

4. CrescentSkies profile image63
    CrescentSkiesposted 12 years ago

Convenience. Bad food is usually available in most places and easier to get ahold of or cheaper to get a hold of than healthy foods. Naturally we eat whatever we can get a hold of.

5. strkngfang profile image81
    strkngfangposted 12 years ago

Everyone in the food industry defines good food and bad food entirely differently and the general public is confused.  Every several years a different food is said to cause cancer or heart disease and people are convinced that everything they eat will kill them sooner or later so why not enjoy.  Even the "Healthy Choice" and other processed foods that use the "health" tagline are really just garbage.  You can't go wrong with fruits, vegetables, fish and lean meats.
    Most will suffer no health problems from eating what they want so they see no harm.  The sad thing is the food industry is a big factory now with cranking out the cheapest and easiest to produce food they can and health is no concern.  They even get tricky with food labels now to further confuse you.
    A good rule of thumb is, the less the ingredients, the better it is for you.  Do you ever look at a store bought cake?  At least 2 paragraphs full of stuff in there, talk about a heart attack waiting to happen.  But to each their own.

6. glmclendon profile image61
    glmclendonposted 12 years ago

We want what we want in the amount we want. We are willing to pay the cost later.

7. crazymom3 profile image68
    crazymom3posted 12 years ago

I would say that in my case it isn't about what I know.  I know plenty about eating healthy however;  it's about what I love and I love food.  For example I love a certain hamburger which I actually crave about once a week.  I know it isn't the healthies thing but I love how it tastes, and if I am going to live, I will enjoy my hamburger while I am alive.

8. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 12 years ago

Well, for my family, we cut down on all the unhealthy food. Now we go for white meat, fish and more vegetables.

It is hard to cut down immediately, but after 1 year we have changed our food diet completely. It is only once in a while we will go for fried food otherwise it will be steam or using less oil to fry.

9. GDiBiase profile image67
    GDiBiaseposted 12 years ago

For my family we also try to keep a healthy balance. When we do eat bad food is usually a direct result of us being too busy. Meaning the fast food becomes the easyor effortless  way out.

10. christin53 profile image84
    christin53posted 12 years ago

Because bad food always tastes good. Bad food is only bad if you eat too much of it eaten in moderation and supplemented with healthy food and its fine.

11. profile image0
    Starmom41posted 12 years ago

probably a combination of habit and taste-buds. 
    sometimes I just WANT that bag of chips, even though there are plenty of healthier foods in the kitchen.

12. JessicaSmetz profile image82
    JessicaSmetzposted 12 years ago

It tastes so good! haha..its true and the fact that thats all they sell at most places. Eating healthy can be so expensive and its hard to adjust to the plain tastes.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)