jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Is your personality different than what it was in high school?

1. Leaderofmany profile image60
    Leaderofmanyposted 5 years ago

Is your personality different than what it was in high school?

2. Sunnyglitter profile image83
    Sunnyglitterposted 5 years ago

Hmmmm.  I think my personality is the same, but my behavior is different.  I have learned not to act on all of my impulses over the years.

3. Moon Daisy profile image85
    Moon Daisyposted 5 years ago

It's probably similar.  But I have more confidence and I tend to stand up for myself and others more now.  Some people think that I get involved too much!

4. sangre profile image96
    sangreposted 5 years ago

I'm more sure of who I am now and speak up more. When in school your just don't get as much as an opportunity to be who you are. Plus I think growth and life experience help define you.

5. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

Completely - I was a very misguided and self-loathing teen.  I am much more self-confident and I have liberated myself from a lot of things that could have held me back in life.  Absolutely I am different, but I think my previous experiences gave me what I needed to make some necessary adjustments in my personality and attitude. smile

6. Eric Calderwood profile image85
    Eric Calderwoodposted 5 years ago

Yes.  In high school there was a lot of pressure to act like or conform to everyone else.  Now I can be myself even if that means being laughed at or not being liked by everyone around me.  The funny thing is, it seems that the less you try to impress other people, the more people actually like you.

7. wychic profile image90
    wychicposted 5 years ago

Absolutely -- now I am much more optimistic, and emotionally much better centered. Over time I have learned that I make my own happiness, so it has stopped bothering me when I can't find it in people, places or things around me as I kind of expected I would when I was younger. In high school I was in a very bad mentally and emotionally, up to and including having to be hospitalized for clinical depression and for acting out in anger at the circumstances in which I found myself. At the time I didn't know any other way to deal with things, though since then I have learned coping skills that allow me to be much less vulnerable to the highs and lows of life outside of myself.

Overall, the result has been that I tend to be more cheerful and outgoing than I was in high school, and I'm told that I'm easy to talk to and make people laugh. I'm comfortable in my own weirdness and express myself in ways that I would not have allowed then because they do make me stand out, and in school I wanted nothing more than to melt into the woodwork. My feeling of self-worth was practically non-existent then, but today it's something that keeps me moving from one idea or circumstance to the next without ever losing hope of reaching my goals, and without ever feeling that I don't deserve them. I used to hate myself when I was in high school, but I really like me now and enjoy my company.

working